Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to import CSV point file

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jrsattelmeier
14094 Views, 10 Replies

Not able to import CSV point file

From the Civil 3D tabs, I go to insert, points from file, and select said csv file. Once i select the file it says that no point file format macth found. I have checked the csv file in excel and nopepad looking for errors, but have found none. This particular csv file is from a topo i did of a site on a Trimble TSC3 data collector. I exported the measured data (the points) to a CSV file with the file format as PNEZD(comma delimited). We then synced the data collector with the computer and loaded the file, going into excel and cleaning up all the headings and unused data not needed and saving only the PNEZD info. We had a problem with this one time and figured it out to where it worked right. I thought it was something in excel we need to change but i cannot remember what we did and cannot figure it out after messing with it. Has anyone else had this problem before? Any help would be great! Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jay_B
in reply to: jrsattelmeier

Have you tried splitting the file into 2 separate files to rule out potential issues with the file?

Can you post he csv here for someone to test it out?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 11
jrsattelmeier
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes. We actually have it split up into 4 different files. None of them will upload.

Message 4 of 11
jrsattelmeier

Here is one of the smaller 4 files.

Message 5 of 11
Jay_B

The Point number contains Alpha characters, once these were removed, the file imports just fine in C3d 2016.

Likely stating the obvious but also be sure to select the PNEZD comma delimited format when importing.

Pavement1,4894.205,5774.672,101.353,Pavement
Pavement2,4894.249,5762.657,101.613,Pavement
Pavement3,4894.365,5750.821,101.918,Pavement
Pavement4,4894.371,5738.769,102.148,Pavement

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 11
jrsattelmeier

That got it to work. I knew it was something simple like that we were forgetting about

Message 7 of 11
Jay_B

Glad to hear you got it to work.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 11
peterfunkautodesk

The PNEZD format was designed to import point number, northing, easting, elevation and description. If you want to import Point Names, make a copy of PNEZD (comma delimited) and change the first field from "Point Number" to "Name" and rename the file.

Then when you pick your csv file that has strings in the first column, this point file format will be selected and you can import your points. When the points are added to the drawing, a point number will be assigned to each one, but you can use the point name in your labels.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11

I don't import points often, and I struggle with it almost every time.
What makes it extremely frustrating is that C3D's errors are worse than useless:
"Point import failed". That's it. Import failed. No hint or explanation as to why.

If the point import error could steer a user toward the cause, for example as in this case: "Point import failed, alpha characters not allowed" the user could likely correct the error and move on.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 10 of 11

Try formatting the cells in your csv file. The numbers should be "general" so that no commas separate, e.g. 1,234,567.89. These extra commas confuse the import program, which is looking for "comma separated values", right?

Message 11 of 11
HansSMS
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Civil 3D has the silly restriction with point names where it doesn't allow uppercase. And it still wants to create point numbers anyway. On a large job, this becomes an organizational problem. For example, a building grid I have point A1, A2, A3..., B1, B2, B3 etc up to K1, K2, K3.... When I look on a plan I see F15 and that's what I type into my survey controller, and I set the point out. Point number 2147 means nothing in my life, I need another paper plot with point numbers (flapping in the wind) to get a handle on that grid point. Similarly, traverse Control points are numbered T1, T2 etc. Sewer Setout points are S1, S2, stormwater ST1, ST2... Easy to organize, easy to remember.

I find myself spending heaps of time looking up my last point numbers, reformatting CSV files, renumbering points before importing the actual file - total unproductive time.

Every bit of survey software I know can handle alphanumeric names. CIVIL 3D is the odd one out. It is simply incompatible with other (normal) point files and software.

I have commented on this since Civil 3D 2006.  Autodesk may be the industry standard on dwg files, but Autodesk is not the surveying industry standard. So it's up to Autodesk to conform.

Point numbers being a subset of alphanumeric names, there would be no backwards compatibility issues.

Why not accommodate alphanumerics?  Blinkers, tunnelvision, arrogance?

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report