Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer features slower to react than their CLASSIC counterparts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
vaughan.giles7AGEV
414 Views, 4 Replies

Newer features slower to react than their CLASSIC counterparts

Improving actions across Civil 3D and AutoCAD products

A problem that is experienced in every modern C3D and AutoCAD version is: inefficient, slow graphics based "features". Allow me to explain some of the issues which I believe have long been sidestepped.

1.  The Ribbon: The ribbon is slow to react, both when switching between tabs (for the first-time, as if it caches the icons) and again slow with the contextual reactions to commands.
  2. The Ribbon - Layers Tab: The speed at which the layers tab operates is poor - using the pull-down arrow to select a layer, turning layers on or off or simply freezing something is extremely slow when compared against the classic AutoCAD "Layers" toolbar.
  3. A similar experience is had when comparing the speed between the CLASSICXREF to the XREF command and likewise with CLASSICLAYER and LAYER.
  4. The Properties panel: Simply having the properties panel open will cause certain selecting of objects to cause a slowdown in your drawings - this can be said for quite a few different tools as well.
  5. Sheetset Manager: The sheetset manager is a powerful tool, but can also be a very slow tool to use. Let's say a project you're working on has a sheetset and it's located in a different office in your organization - how slow has it been for you to use?

It is my solid belief that a speed improvement release be one of the main focus points for Autodesk to consider - They need to look at the old and the new, consider how tools are used and ask the question of "Why" does something work in a particular fashion and what can be done to improve the speed of the operations.

The main question I have to ask is: Why are so many of the feature rich newer features slower than their classic counterparts?

My two cents on the matter - I would  love to see these features improved and this general forum is monitored 10 fold compared to that of the "Ideas" posts. I would like to see this gather momentum.

If you agree with me, please up-vote this idea at the below url link and gain the support and attention of Autodesk, so they can focus on speed improvements.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-ideas/improving-actions-across-civil-3d-and-autocad-products...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I did give a vote because I think it's generally something Autodesk should look at. However I don't see as many of the problems because, being an old-school keyboard guy, I mostly ignore or bypass most of those features. What I can't avoid. I customize.

Also I have a very good workstation.

Dell Precision 7920, Xeon CPU 3.60 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro P4000
ATA SK hynix SSD 1TB
ATA Samsung SSD 1TB
ATA Samsung SSD 250GB

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
rkmcswain
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup  wrote:

However I don't see as many of the problems because, being an old-school keyboard guy, I mostly ignore or bypass most of those features. What I can't avoid. I customize.

There are actually knowledge base articles addressing "slow cad" that simply say to "turn this off, disable that", and so on. 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 5

I haven't noticed slowdowns as you mention.  But it could be my workflow & drawing management.  You don't mention the size of the files, or their complexity, or the specs for your machine.  All those will affect responsiveness.  Are you working with miles-long corridors?  Dozens or hundreds of alignments?  Very large surfaces?  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: vaughan.giles7AGEV

I've been using this since LDD release 14, and yes - every year it seems to get doggier. It makes sense in a way - there is far more data being monitored and manipulated in the drawing file. But, it is aggravating. we just switched to C3D in the last year or so from Microstation/Inroads and that software is way, way faster (and more stable) than C3D. but, it does very elementary operations on a 20+ year old foundation.

I'm a keyboard guy, too. generally speaking I think it is way faster. Save clicks over time and it all adds up. Not have to look up and search for a tool on the ribbon, it all adds up.

One tip - I read about, but haven't tried, that publishing with SSM after opening the dwg with C3D as AutoCAD is far faster. It doesn't have to think and resolve all that data before publishing since it is dumb AutoCAD.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report