Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with earthwork calculations

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
walters_r_ashton
483 Views, 6 Replies

Need help with earthwork calculations

Hello, 

I've been trying to calculate the cut and fill of this site however the numbers are coming out too big. I was given two separate drawings from the architect, one is their survey drawing and the other is the proposed design. I wasn't sure how to combine them together so I just pasted the proposed design onto the survey drawing and created the EG and FG surfaces. I get cut and fill numbers but my boss says it doesn't look correct. Any idea why. I'm a beginner to civil 3d. Can someone take a look and give me some feedback thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DBreisch
in reply to: walters_r_ashton

Looks like you have 500' of elevation difference happening. This is going to result in a large number. Just a quick glance..

Message 3 of 7

Hi @walters_r_ashton, after looking through you file, your drawing is still in Architectural units which means everything has been scaled up by a factor of 12.  This would coincide with your grading quantities being huge amounts.

v_silvestre_0-1696528658283.png

If you do not have a Civil 3D company template (.dwt), I would use the default C3D Imperial Template and re-import your 2 base files in real-world coordinates.  I hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Message 4 of 7

Thank you for replying. I see my drawings are in architectural units but I'm not sure how to re-import the drawings into real world coordinates. 

Message 5 of 7

I would just start with using the default "Autodesk Civil 3d (Imperial) NCS.dwt".  Make sure you set the units to decimal & when you import the reference files, just make sure they are not scaled up by 12.  You should be good to go after that.

Message 6 of 7

Got it, it worked. Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 7

Happy to help, especially since it worked

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report