Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify lenght of the layer ribbon tab

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rbunner
3534 Views, 3 Replies

Modify lenght of the layer ribbon tab

I'm hoping I can do this - I'm trying to find a way to lengthen the layer tab in ribbons so that I can see the long layer name that is displayed.  This is located in the home ribbon under layers.  I'm not too sure how to customize the ribbons and menus. 

Thanks, Rhonda

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: rbunner

Hi Rhonda,

You can't do it in the Layers Panel. However, you can add it to your Quick Access Toolbar (QAT), and edit the width there. First, right-click on the Layer Control and select Add to QAT. Then, type CUI in the command line. In the CUI dialog box, on the upper left pane, expand the QAT collection, and expand the QAT of the workspace you want to change. Then, select the Layer Combo Control, and on the right side, you will see how to change the Minimum and Maximum width of the Control tool (see attached image) HTH.

-Seth Cohen

Message 3 of 4
rbunner
in reply to: Anonymous

Seth,

Thanks so much - that is exactly what I needed - to see the full layer name. 

Thanks! -Rhonda

Message 4 of 4
sorgill9N2FU
in reply to: rbunner

Adding the 'Layer Combo Control' to the quick-access *TECHNICALLY* works. For someone that is used to its location, it can be a little jarring. It is possible to do this differently - and it gives you the chance to practice editing and modifying autoCAD's CUI formatting. You can do a lot of cool things with it.

1. Enter 'CUI' in the command line

2. Expand the '+' for Ribbon and then Panels

3. Right Click Panels - > New Panel

4. A new panel 'Panel1' is created at the bottom of the list of panels.

5. Select Panel1, and modify it's general properties to your liking, you can name it something like 'Layer' - match the display text to the name.

*If you cant see the panel properties, hit the arrow at the bottom right to expand the CUI dialog box*

6. Find the 'Layers - ACA' panel in the list of available panels and then click and drag your new panel and place it near the layers panel - this is optional but it helps with getting the formatting setup.

7. Expand your new panel and 'Layers - ACA' panel to begin to match the formatting

8. From here, you can do as much or as little as you'd like. You can match the layers panel exactly, or you can add only the buttons and options that you use.

9. To match exactly, you can just right click each row in 'Layers - ACA' and copy/paste them into your custom panel - make sure you are aware of which rows you are putting above or below the slideout.

10. The row with the layer name selector (or 'Layer Combo Control') is row 3 - so you'll want that row for sure - placed above the slideout.

11. Once you have row 3 in place - expand it out and select 'Layer Combo Control'

12. Under 'Minimum Width' se the value to your targeted value - such as 400 px - you can modify this later if you need to.

13. From here I recommend hitting 'Apply' and 'OK'. This will close the CUI dialog box. AutoCAD can crash from time to time editing your CUI and you will loose your progress if it does.

14. Enter 'CUI again to open it up again.

15. Find and expand the 'Tabs' section under Ribbon

16. Find and expand the 'Home - ACA' tab - we need to put our new panel inside this.

17. Navigate back to your custom panel under the 'Panels' section.

18. Drag-and-drop your new custom panel to the bottom of the list of panels within the 'Home - ACA' section.

19. Hit 'Apply' and 'OK'

20. AutoCAD may flash as it updates the CUI, and hopefully it doesn't crash (it could).

21. If it doesn't update completely, try closing and reopening autoCAD. You should see your new custom panel on the far-right of the home tab.

22. You can now reorganize your panels by dragging-and-dropping the panel display name into the desired order.

23. Because you essentially remade the Layers panel, you can right-click the ribbon and un-check 'Layers - ACA' from the show panels menu and make sure your new custom panel is checked.

24. If you need to modify it later, you can jump back into CUI and change the custom panel's properties, and it will update it on the home tab automatically. 

As far as I'm concerned, I only use the layer selection / layer state selection, and layer manager button, so that is all I put in my panel. You can see the end result here.

1.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report