Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Layers

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
marcosmendez
716 Views, 18 Replies

Missing Layers

In many of my drawings, I will create layers.  When I open the drawing later, layers of missing, sometimes all of them.  The linework is there, but the lines no longer have the assigned layer (or any layer) assigned to them, not even the 0 layer.

What is going on here?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
marcosmendez
in reply to: marcosmendez

Just to clarify: New layers are added into the drawing.  Drawing is closed.  Drawing is open.

The only layers left are 0, my current layer, and Defpoints.

Drawing has contour layers attached to surface properties, as well as plines and lines having other layers attached.  XREFs are also in the drawing.  The XREF layers are still in there. 

Message 3 of 19

Make sure you don't have the box checked at the bottom left of your layer dialog box to Invert Filter.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 19

The Invert filter box is unchecked.  I wish this was the issue.

The layers are gone.

Message 5 of 19

Can you post the drawing here?

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 19

The first picture is what I saved. 

Then I close out Civil 3D.

Then I open the dwg.

The second picture is what I get.

The linework that was assigned to a layer now does not have a layer.  When I click on the line and check to see what layer it is on, it has no layer.

Message 7 of 19
marcosmendez

I tried to start from the beginning.  Put in the xref, drew my surface.  Created Surface styles from scratch (not drag and drop).  Made new layers.  Saved.  Closed out Civil 3D.  Opened the file.  Once again, all layers outside of the xref disappeared.  Is this a setting or is this have something to do with A360?

Message 8 of 19

Do you have the service packs installed?

Todd Rogers
Message 9 of 19

I have SP1 as far as I know. I'm starting to download SP2 right now.
Message 10 of 19
marcosmendez

YES! IT WAS THE SERVICE PACK!

I didn't know there was one delivered in December.
Message 11 of 19
marcosmendez

and now it is failing again.  This leads me to think it is either something wrong with A360 or there is a setting that I am missing.

Message 12 of 19
marcosmendez

The solution is not SP2 update
Message 13 of 19
Jeff_M

can you post one of your drawings here?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 14 of 19
marcosmendez
in reply to: Jeff_M

We are having the exact same issue on more than one computer.

Message 15 of 19

I opened both drawings, created a layer, saved it and closed it.  Reopened and the layer is there.  How are you creating the layers?

Todd Rogers
Message 16 of 19
Jeff_M

I did the same as Todd, layers remain. DO you have any third party apps loaded/running? What about Layer Standards (I don't believe it would cause this issue, but ya never know).
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 17 of 19
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Jeff_M

Sounds like there is a lisp routine running LAYDEL or something when the application starts up.

Todd Rogers
Message 18 of 19

I'm creating layers using the layer properties.  I don't have any third party on my computer anywhere.  This computer runs civil 3D, A360, and google chrome. 

an update for A360 just came in this morning.

Message 19 of 19
marcosmendez

So, after further investigation, it was something in A360 that was causing the problem.  When saving a file to my computer or to local server, the issue didn't happen again.  

So, I learned not to save to A360 while working on any project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report