Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MicroDrainage Utility - Civil3D 2016 error and no parts list when inporting

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
756 Views, 6 Replies

MicroDrainage Utility - Civil3D 2016 error and no parts list when inporting

Hello,

I have been trying to inport a MicroDrainage 2016 .sws file into Civil3D 2016 using the MicroDrainage Utility inport option in the Toolbox section of the Toolspace. Whne I try to import I get the error message below first and then the import wizard pops up and I am unable to select a parts list and therefore cannot import the file. I have created a full parts list and set the pipe network catelogs to UKIE but still no solution found. Does anyone have a answer to this?

Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

Kind Regards,

Jake

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
M_c3d
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't know why you are getting the no autocad message...but I'm afraid the import utility that is part of the microdrainage utility does not work in civil 3d 2016 or 2017.

It is however fixed in 2018.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: M_c3d

Thank you for your response. I have read a lot of bad things about MicroDrainage imports into Civil3D for 2016 & 2017 whilst looking into this issue. I recently managed to get the MicroDrainage Utility import to work in Civil3D 2016, unsure how it fixed itself though. I haven't inspected the 3D elements so unsure how accurately it brought the data across.

I did install the 2017 version of the software, I managed to import the network and select a parts list but none of the parts transfer across into the model as it states that the parts are unavailable. I even tried creating a network in Civil3D using the Network creation tools, importing this to a .sws file and then importing this back into Civil3D 2017 and it still didn’t work. Based on what I have read it seemed as though this was a common issue and comes down to an issue with the software.

I am looking forward to start using 2018. I was told that the parts builder is improved in 2018 also.

Message 4 of 7
M_c3d

I would be very interested to see how you managed to get it to work in 2016.

As far as I'm aware from both Autodesk & XP Solutions it broke half way through civil 3d 2016 because of a file path change.

It wasn't fixed in 2017.

But it was fully rebuilt in 2018 and Dave Simeone says they are looking at rebuilding it for 2016 & 2017.

In terms of the 2018 part builder, its exactly the same I'm afraid. But there is a new one available that comes from infraworks, called infrastructure parts editor.

https://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/a-replacement-for-part-builder-well-see

https://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/category/infraworks/

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: M_c3d

I am not too sure really, I can only think that it has been patched in a later release of Civil3D 2016, I recently got a new PC so had to download all the software again. I can’t' think what else it could be. Unless the MicroDrainage Utility add-on for 2017 somehow works in 2016. I downloaded the 2017 version on Tuesday along with Civil3D 2017 to see how it works but not sure that 2016 would pick this up instead of using the previous version under 2016. I believe some add-ons work across different version of Civil3D but I am unsure this one does.

See below screenshot with Import file finding parts lists. It creates a new netowork in Civil3D which I can edit. It replaced a few parts and I haven't checked the levels but it definitely works.

Untitled3.jpg

That is interesting to know about Infraworks. I have completed training courses on this software but I have not created BIM models using it or looked into parts builders. I will check this out.

Message 6 of 7
MikeEvansUK

Have you got more than one instance of Civil3d running? I sometimes see this error under those circumstances.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I beleive I may have had Civil3D 2016 and 2017 open at the same time. possibly even 2018 aswell. maybe this was confusing the add-on tool and produced the error code. Was surprised when I googled it that it didnt come back with anything so thought I would post it on here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report