Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUM FILE SIZE

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
h.castrocelani
330 Views, 6 Replies

MAXIMUM FILE SIZE

Can somebody help me with this, what is the limit in size of a dwg file that Civil 3D can handle? tanking into account the computer is above the minimum requirements.

Thank you all!

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: h.castrocelani

That's a sorta loaded question.

My take is as small as possible, I try to keep things around 4mb, and never hit above 10-12 if possible.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

Hi,

if you can work with a file does not depend on the file-size.

I have files with 500MB working quite well, on the other side I can send you a file with a few kB and you can't open it.

The most important thing is which object types you are using, how well your content is structured, how much is used externally (like XRef's, images, ...)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 7

Alfred,

Working with a surface with a size of 12gb. How to handle that? I should divide the surface into smaller separate files?

Thanks!
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

>> Working with a surface with a size of 12gb

12GB is large, the first thoughts about that is: "do I really need all points".

You can create a surface from that, then use the edit option to simplify the surface an run your project with that surface.
In case you need it you might later remove the simplify-edit item in the edit list if you need anything more accurate, but you can work much faster with the lighter surface.

Another option could be to use Autodesk ReCap to create a point-cloud and then use the point-cloud as base for your surface. This has the advantage that creating a surface from a point-cloud already give you the option to use only more relevant points.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: h.castrocelani

I'd suggest that 12Gb is way too big and I'm surprised Civil is opening at all with a drawing that size - I'd certainly try Surface Smoothing > Edge Contraction > 70-80%....but be prepared for a long wait or even a crash.....

If you have Infraworks you may be able to reduce the size and import back into Civil which is another method I use and another option is to create a Cropped surface containing the area of interest.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 7

Thank you all!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report