Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linetype cannot delete

67 REPLIES 67
Message 1 of 68
M_c3d
2454 Views, 67 Replies

linetype cannot delete

Setting up a brand new template with acad.dwt (2018) no objects in it, but it comes with dashed2 linetype.  How to get rid of this?  Cannot purge or delete it, can't quick select any objects with it, no layers in the drawing etc.

Any ideas?

67 REPLIES 67
Message 41 of 68
rkmcswain
in reply to: cadffm

"No template" means NO TEMPLATE.  There should be no layers, no linetypes, no materials, no shapes, no textstyles, etc.

There is obviously some code that runs when a non-C3D drawing is opened in C3D that creates all of the "standard" styles. The fact that it's assigning this linetype to an object in the style is most certainly a bug IMO.  You use "No Template" because you want a clean drawing without any superfluous data, and this does not meet that specification.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 42 of 68
krettig
in reply to: pendean

THE SUPER PURGE WORKSSmiley LOL

Message 43 of 68
Neilw_05
in reply to: M_c3d

It is probably being used in a style. Make a copy of your file and start purging styles till it get's unused. Once you find where it is used you can take it out of your styles in the template. 

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 44 of 68
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

I didn't see some of the previous replies. Ignore this.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 45 of 68
Neilw_05

So I went through most of the replies on this thread. I confirm that creating a new file using the NO TEMPLATE option embeds the Dashed linetype and that linetype is used in the Standard Alignment style. Now since C3D has to have a style for every object, then it applies a Standard style when a new file is created using the No Template option. Thus the implication is in the settings that are used for the standard styles when the No Template option is used. The linetype is embedded in the style that is used for the default standard style for Alignments and it seems to be embedded in the software code.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 46 of 68
Neilw_05

Apparently the DASHED linetype is being used in another style somewhere. If you start a new file using the No Template option and remove the Dashed Linetype from the Standard alignment style you should be able to purge the linetype, since it is no longer used. That is not the case. So we need to find other instances where it is being used.

Also, where is Civil 3D getting the Standard styles it uses to create a file when the No Template option is used? Is it in code or is it in a template? My guess is it is in code. Otherwise someone could mess with the default template and you would no longer get a clean file using the No Template option.

At some point it is not worth fighting the software. I can't see a problem with having the DASHED linetype embedded in C3D files since it is a standard ACAD linetype. Most users are used to having it there. If you are sharing with Non ACAD users, they will be dealing with a lot more unwanted clutter than that.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 47 of 68
cadffm

It's sometime really hard with you guys Man Very Happy , really frustrating Man Sad , but that's life online Man Indifferent .
Unfortunately, I have no time to chat, maybe later Man LOL .

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 48 of 68
gary_curtis

This issue was posted in plain vanilla AutoCAD forum ... not sure how it got pushed to Civil 3D.

Gary
Message 49 of 68
cadffm
in reply to: gary_curtis

@gary_curtis 

Yes, but as i wrote your problem is not part of plain (standalone) autocad.

In your case it seems to be a special of your SUITE installation.

This thread going to the wrong direction because of 1-2 people, but it right here, better then in the plain Autocad Forum.

YOU stopped  to find the problem.

Without the environment i can not test it for you alone.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 50 of 68
M_c3d
in reply to: cadffm

I posted the original question so think its best that I clear this up...

• I am responsible for CAD standards within my company
  • I head up the civil technicians team and use civil 3d
  • As part of rolling out new cad standards, I installed vanilla autocad on my pc and set up a new vanialla autocad template within vanilla autocad.  Note I did not run 'civil 3d as autocad'.
  • I noticed that the template added the dashed2 linetype even though it wasn't within the blank template I started from
  • I then installed vanilla autocad on a new pc that didnt have civil 3d and set up the template on there.  When doing it on the new pc without civil 3d being installed it did not add the dashed2 linetype
  • It was posted in the autocad forum as I thought it was a vanilla autocad problem but soon realised it was related to civil 3d and therefore it was moved
  • In the end I created the template on the non civil 3d PC and it doesn't contain the dashed 2 linetype
Message 51 of 68
Neilw_05

I am curious, so if you open a template created in vanilla Autocad in C3D, somehow all the C3D objects will get Standard styles added to the file, correct? And when you do this, the dashed linetype does not get added. So where do the style settings come from? Why does it make a difference if you use a template created in Vanilla Autocad vs a template created in C3D? I don't have time to run tests on this. I am just interested in case it comes up in later posts.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 52 of 68
M_c3d

@Neilw_05 I think your theory is correct, I will test it on Monday

Message 53 of 68
Neilw_05

If I open a plain default Autocad template that was created in AutoCAD 2004, C3D automatically adds the Standard styles to the file. The standard Alignment style has the Dashed linetype assigned. Therefore this seems to confirm that the software code is generating the styles and the linetype is coming in from the code. This should happen to every C3D user.  

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 54 of 68
rkmcswain

@Neilw_05 - I think that is essentially the same experiment that I noted here.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 55 of 68
Neilw_05
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yes I saw that and gave a Kudo. I think it is established that it is a code issue and at some point I think it needs to be marked as part of the solution.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 56 of 68
Owackenreuther

We are experiencing similar issues in our environment with individuals who have AutoCAD Vanilla 2017 and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017 installed, from the Architecture, Engineering and Construction Collection (AEC), on the same workstation. But we cannot always replicate it on all machines and were hoping to identify a fix moving forward.

Another odd behavior, which I believe to be a bug in the application code, is with the attached drawing file (TestInfected.dwg). When you open a new AutoCAD Vanilla session, with Civil 3D installed, and open this file then all other opened drawings in that session are infected with the "DASHED2" linetype. Even if you close all of the drawing files and open a new drawing file, that new drawing file will too be infected with the "DASHED2" linetype in the same AutoCAD active session.

Installed Software versions:

• Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 – English v21.05.52.0
  • Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017 – English v11.0.659.0
  • Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017 64 Bit Object Enabler for AutoCAD 2017 – English – English (United States) v771.0

Message 57 of 68
Anonymous
in reply to: Owackenreuther

If I understand you right, you want to remove the dashed linetype from this drawing? if that is the case you need to go threw the all the C3D styles that have the dashed linetype assigned to that style and reset it to either bylayer or byblock. HTH

Message 58 of 68
Owackenreuther
in reply to: Anonymous

No, I want to ensure that "DASHED2" linetype is not automatically added to all drawings for users who have both AutoCAD Vanilla and Civil 3D installed. This is for both new and existing drawing files.

As an example, the drawing that I have attached in my previous post was created in an AutoCAD Vanilla session from 'AutoCAD > New > Open with no New Template (metric)' but based on this post I suspect that the "DASHED2" linetype was added into the drawing file because it was created on a workstation that has AutoCAD Civil 3D installed as well.

Similarly, if you have AutoCAD Civil 3D object enablers installed on your computer and save a drawing in AutoCAD Vanilla; proxy AEC Civil 3D objects will be saved in the drawing file.

Message 59 of 68
Anonymous
in reply to: Owackenreuther

If the drawing attached is be a template for future work and you don't want that linetype to be in all future drawings, then you need to remove it in my opinion. As long as a block or C3D style has a linetype or layer associated with it, it will always follow the drawing. Sorry If I don't understand your issue. HTH

Message 60 of 68
Joe-Bouza

Hi Mark

Are you sure there are no blocks in the file that my have the line type in it? 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report