Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lidar point cloud creating unwanted anomalies in surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cblakeman
549 Views, 6 Replies

Lidar point cloud creating unwanted anomalies in surface

Hello all,

My company has recently acquired a drone with LiDAR capabilities. I am working on the processes to use LiDAR and I have run into issues. 

After processing the lidar within a third party software and converting into a Recap project, I am left with ground points only. Once brought into a Civil3D drawing and creating a surface, there seems to be mounts over empty spaces where buildings were.

I have ensured that there are no points that could cause anomalies within these areas, and I do not use a filter when creating the surface within Civil3D.

The point cloud is in the correct spot, and all of the other elevations seem to be correct. I have included an example below. Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone know what could be going on?

I am working in ft and INSUNITS are set to 2.

cblakeman_0-1646094435200.png

I can include the recap file if necessary. 

Labels (5)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: cblakeman

Would it be possible to upload the las or laz file? Include points for bare earth and points above ground. What is the native coordinate system of the las/laz file?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Pointdump

Hi Chase,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
Yes, posting your ReCap files would be good. Please zip them together and post.
Which third party software are you using to filter ground points?
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 7
AllenJessup

Without examining the files. I'd guess that there is still a small portion of building face left. The software tries to extend the surface along that face and meet the extension from the opposite side of the building. I'd suggest adding a Data Clip Boundary or at least a Hide Boundary for the buildings.

Another option may be to limit the length of triangles in the Surface to cut out those within the buildings.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
cblakeman
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

The coordinate system is IN83-EF horiz. and NAVD88 (usft) vert.. I cannot attach the .las because of autodesk file limits, and the .zip is still too large. 

Message 6 of 7
cblakeman
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave, attached is the unifed recap file. We are testing out many softwares, this point cloud was classified with LiDAR360 from Greenvalley International.

Message 7 of 7
Pointdump

Chase,
For files larger than the Forum's 71MB limit, use WeTransfer, DropBox, or MEGA.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report