Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer states not staying applied

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3370 Views, 9 Replies

Layer states not staying applied

I am having a lot of trouble with layer states staying applied. I can create my layer state then select it, and it will apply the layer changes as expected but when I exit the drawing and reopen, the changes are removed and the layout is in 'unsaved layer state'.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
lim.wendy
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

Can you post the drawing so that we can test it out?

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: lim.wendy

Sorry Wendy, we don't share our drawings/civil 3d customisations

Message 4 of 10
Jowennl

Hi @Anonymous,

This is how  I think you should do it. If you don't follow 7, 8 and 9 it won't save any changes you've done.

1-CreateNew-LayerState.png1-CreateNew-LayerState.png2-Need 7 8 9 for this to work.png2-Need 7 8 9 for this to work.png3-Checking Purpose.png3-Checking Purpose.png

You might also want to try export as .LAS so that you can share the same layerstate to other drawings. Just make sure you load the same linetype to all other drawings and you can import .LAS

Try to do step 1-9 then when you save and close it will remember the LAYERSTATE changes.

Cheers,

Jowenn

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Jowennl

Legend! That worked thanks. I was trying to modify the layers in LAYERSTATE rather than just in the viewport/layout. Worked a treat

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Jowennl

Actually it didn't work. The layer state still resets back to unsaved layer state when i reopen the drawing

Message 7 of 10
Jowennl

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm pretty sure it should and I've been using this method so many times. Can you please try it again and make sure all other layer state in that drawing have been deleted. One alternative option you can do is create new layerstate, export as .LAS save to a folder delete your current layer state then import back the .LAS and do step 1-9. If this still won't work then I will make a detailed screencast when I got free time later.

When you open and it show unsave that is fine just click restore and see if it remember any changes you've done. Best I think is make an export .LAS and import it back and it will permanently remember.

4- Dont be bother by this.png4- Dont be bother by this.png

Cheers,

Jowenn

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I went to Options, to the Open and Save tab, then check the box, Retain changes to Xref layers

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

The command VISRETAIN is a toggle to make xrefs retain the layer state.  

Message 10 of 10
alexandresynth

Brother, this problem is ETERNAL in AutoCAD and i already lost my hopes it will someday be fixed.

Layerstate is a troy horse, it seems will help u but it will stop you in so many ways.

Is pretty easy to fix but i think that autodesk does not give a care to AutoCAD anymore, that is the truth.

Can come here 500 ppl with beautiful profiles giving a full explanation seeking to receive from you the seal of right answer so in their profiles will show that they answered and solved the problem but the fact is that this is an error in AutoCAD. The viewport never keeps the layer state, if u back to model work, switch the layer states and back to layout to see how is each sheet you will see that its all mixed up and u need manually re-choose the layer state for each viewport, THERE IS NO EXCUSE THAT CAN EXCUSE THIS, ITS A ERROR IN AUTOCAD!!!!!!!!

Ppl here try to cover to protect autoCAD but the fact is that is an error.

And more, if you change the color of something in Model it will neverrrrrrr change the color in the viewports, and you will lose weeks trying to fix but everytime when you choose the layerstate the previous color of some layer will return to the previous color that you dont want.

Ppl can come here and give a beautiful answer saying "ahh all u need is click here and there and update..." but it seems to me they dont know that we work in Model and not in layout, we deal with project with a million lines on the screen, can just cant manually layer by layer and viewport by viewport and layout by layout update everything.

If ppl lose more time going there in support and demanding AutoCAD to change this in next updates instead of defending the indefensible once they know that its a error but they dont want to say it, this problem would be solved since 2018 or earlier.

Hugs from 2024 and the problem carries on...

@alexandresynth - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report