Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Text for Model Tab labels - layout views are correct

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brburklund
517 Views, 6 Replies

Large Text for Model Tab labels - layout views are correct

We are struggling with annotation scales and are stuck.  I think it is a simple fix but we need advice.

We have a drawing that was created with 1":1' drawing scale.  The point styles, cross section labels were all built with this scale.

Due to our cross section template, we changed the drawing scale to 1:40.  The layout tabs are 1:40 scaled with 1:1 viewports. 

When we changed the drawings scale, the text is now huge on the model tab;  the layout pages are still perfect;  If it is 1:1, it is fine.  1:40 it is scale really large.  See two attached jpgs.

How do we adjust the model tab view for usability but not change all of our point style heights, point text height, alignment text height, etc?

We are missing something simple and probably obvious.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cwr-pae
in reply to: brburklund

It sounds like you have the settings reversed. Model space scale only matters for how things look while you are working on the drawing. Paperspace layouts tabs should be at 1:1 while the view ports in paper space should be scaled to the intended plotted scale of the final drawing.

If this doesn't help, can you post a drawing so we can look and see the issue and offer solutions?

Message 3 of 7
pendean

Share your DWG file, lets see what all you have going on.
Message 4 of 7
brburklund

Pendean & CWR,

Thanks for your replies and I apologize for the slow reply.  I had to trim down the file and remove some information.  What our main problem is creating sections.  We have done layouts "backwards" since day one (as CWR described).

The layouts tabs are measureable realtime, but that means the Page Setup has a scale of say 1"=30' vs 1"=1'.

Would you kindly look at our dwg attached?  The Layout tabs are looking ok;  the real problem is plotting cross sections with our operating practice creating stacked cross sections.

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 7
cwr-pae

Oh wow, so much. Before going further you should take the time to go through the tutorials provided in help. Pay attention to how their styles are set up.

First your text style (new grading) is set to be sized, for C3d text scaling is handle by the label styles.

Second all your label styles are set to plot letters 2" and 3" tall, these values should be in the .06" to .25" being the final plotted height of the text.

Third your model space scale has nothing to do with the final plotting and can be changed to anything convenient for the current task you are performing or to match the scale of the view port you are currently setting up.

Fourth your viewports should have both annotation scale and standard scale set to the same scale, that being the final plotted scale. If you plan is be at 1"=50' (or 1:50) those scales should be 1"=50'. The viewpport controls the final scaling when plotting.

fifth when plotting from paper space your plot scale should be 1"=1' (1:1) as scaling is handles by the viewports and your paper size should match the size of paper you are plotting to, generally 24"x36" in the USA.

Sixth you should set lts, pslts and mslts to 1 (linetype scale, paper space linetype scale and model space linetype scale) the your linetypes generation will match the current scale in which ever space you are in. In general all objects should have their linetype scale of 1 also.

I could go on but I hope this would give you the idea of how things should be.

To illustrate the function I described, I modified your styles (fast and without much attention to final appearance) setting text heights and offsets to .1". I created two layouts for 24"x 36" paper, with your original border scaled to approximately 24x36. The first layout has 2 profile views and 2 plan views scaled at 1:50 and 1:30 to illustrate how the view ports control scaling. The second layout is a portion of your section layout at 1:10. Note that all of these viewports are of the same model space with a the scale set at 1" = 10', text size and line type scaling based on the viewport scale.

Hope this helps ;).

Message 6 of 7
brburklund
in reply to: cwr-pae

Would you be willing to visit offline further via email? Thanks. tc_engineeering@yahoo.com
Message 7 of 7
cwr-pae

Glad to be of assistance. I only have time for that much investigation/correction on the weekends at home and then not at regular intervals. You will get better and quicker results here where there are a lot of more knowledgeable and experienced people who are also willing to help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report