Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large .img lidar file

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
6052 Views, 15 Replies

large .img lidar file

I am trying to bring in a large .img (65mb) lidar file into Civil 3D without success.  The point cloud creation does not support .img files.

I have tried converting the .img file to an ASC and DEM with a program called FWTools, but after conversion, the import of the ASC or DEM as a point cloud gives a fatal error.  Import of the DEM under a surface in the prospector works, but slows the drawing so much that it is unusable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

can you let us know more about your system - win 7 or xp, 32 or 64 bit, video card & how much ram?  May be related,  but 65Mb is pretty substantial.

You might play with something like "MARS" - Merrick Advanced Remote Sensing (a previous employer of mine) to see if it can process the data set.... they have a free trial available online that you could tinker with & maybe export out your AOI

Message 3 of 16
antoniovinci

I guess you won't be able to treat Dem files like IMG/ASC as vector point cloud.

Which is the grid width of the original IMG..?
You can check it out with the free Microdem.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

The img file tile is about 5000m x 5000m with points approximately on a 1m grid.

It appears the MARS 7 program will not import an .img file.

My system:

processor: intel duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06 GHz

RAM: 4GB

32 bit O.S.

video card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE

Windows 7 Professional

Thanks!

Jeff

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

So, a couple of years ago before I upgraded to WIn7/64-bit, i would crash my machine (a dell laptop) trying to load several USGS DEM files - a surface for a 32 mile pipeline across several 'quads.  UPgrading to 64-bit (the machine was a 64-bit processor dummied down to run 32-bit XP due to our IT dept) with the exact same hardware allowed me to build the surface. using some 19 quad maps.

for my weekend work - not using our company's C3D, but for personal consulting, I use Global Mapper - which is much less expensive than C3D / Map3D.  Looks like it can read in a IMG and would be able to re-write the surface model out as a DEM...  but I'd start with going to a 64-bit OS - even if you enabled the 3GB switch, you won't get much further on a large data set under the 32-bit environment...

Message 6 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

Are you sure that the extension .IMG is the correct one for a lidar file?

25mio points should not be that problem, I would try to look into the file with a binary-editor and compare it to formats listed as available formats, then rename the file (the extension) and try to import it within Civil3D-command CREATEPOINTCLOUD.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

I believe that yousendit.com will let you transmit upto a 100mb file - if you post it there and send me a link via private message,  I'd be willing to see if GM can convert  and I happen to have my personal machine here at work today.... send me a private message if you want me to try anything...  kinda twiddling thumbs today while between projects and sounds like a good friday afternoon activity... 😉

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

The data I'm looking at is here.  Its a free signup on the Kansas Geospatial Data Access and Support site.

http://www.kansasgis.org/catalog/index.cfm?data_id=1381&show_cat=5

It looks like global mapper might do it, but not with my trial version.  I'd like to know if it actually can or not before paying for it.  I don't have an ftp site subscription.  Thanks!

Thanks for the advice on the computing power.  I've had success creating a point cloud and surface from .las files, but they are not corrected for trees and buildings as the .img file is.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks! may do so - just that I happen to have GM already, so working with what I've got.  But that 4 letter work "Free" is always a draw.... 😉

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

ok. i created an account and downloaded a .zip but it is a .las file - can you point me to a .img for downloading?

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

.img file is the "bare earth" file.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

.img file is the "bare earth" file.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

wow, GM read in the 65mb .img in about 1/2 second (literally) and the 387 MB .LAS in about 12 seconds - screamin fast in comparison to what I've done before - I'm impressed with what it can do...

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Cool. Can you export the .las as a .img? Jeff Murphy, P.E. Staff Engineer Agricultural Engineering Associates Uniontown, KS phone: 620-756-1000
Message 15 of 16
antoniovinci

Jeff, I've downloaded the BE_14SNJ9050.IMG bare earth file (70 MB), on my glorious XP 32bit with 2 GB Ram.

When you open it in Microdem, you can:

• SAVE AS "USGS ASCII" which is a .DEM format well loadable in Civil with _MAPCONNECT

• SAVE AS "XYZ TRIPLES" yielding a beautiful text file, where each line contains the coordinates of every grid point.

I found only one text editor able to open such a monster (~ 25M lines), so if you have a 64 bit system, you can try other ways.

Another nice feature of Dem viewers like Microdem is the contours' generation, but I didn't dare to do that with my poor PC.

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: antoniovinci

It looks like MicroDEM uses FWTools for conversion, which I haven't had any luck with. I'm thinking these .img files may be too big to convert. Jeff Murphy, P.E. Staff Engineer Agricultural Engineering Associates Uniontown, KS phone: 620-756-1000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report