Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Issues with superimposed profiles

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
zsharp
1518 Views, 9 Replies

Issues with superimposed profiles

I'm using civil 3D 2014 and this is also the problem I am having >> see link below <<. I'm leading a large BRT project and there is only one segment where the CL alignment is turning on itself but in severall places. As a result I have this same issue where my superimposed profiles are freaking out and displaying zigzagged trying to project to perpendicular the the CL alignment but also to points perpendicular between the CL to itself. Anybody know a work around? You will be my hero!!! ๐Ÿ˜„ http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/superimposed-profile/m-p/3667678/highlight/fa...
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: zsharp

Hi,

Have u tried limiting the super-imposed profile to the specific chainage range rather than displaying them for the total length, Right click on the super-imposed profile and modify the start and end points. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Palanirajan

Message 3 of 10
zsharp
in reply to: Anonymous

I have modified the range of station and it unfortunately doesn't fix the issue. The superimpose profile function is flawed in that it doesn't know how to treat areas where the centerline doubles back on itself (is parallel). Everywhere this occurs is where the profile tries to superimpose at both locations producing zigzag lines. The link i pasted in my original post is a discussion i found in searching for a fix and the user is having the exact same issue. The response was this is a flaw and it hasn't been fixed. This old discussion was in 2012 so I'm reaching out hoping something has changed or someone has a fix by now.

Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Hello Zac

I don't have a definitive answer but more questions.  I don't necessarily think it is a bug more than it is a geometric quandary, and a person might have trouble locating some points by hand let alone superimposing. 

for example the point below can exist at more than one location along the alignment, yes? 

super2.PNG

This example the station offset of the center of the arc could be anything between 3+68 to 9+67. why did the software pick 9+67? my guess is it just picked one instead of crashing.

super3.PNG

This example illustrates  how a single point can exist at many placees and how absurdly far apart.

sUPERIMPOSE EX.PNG

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
zsharp
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

I really appreciate your great illustration and you taking the time to reach out! This is exactly what I was trying to explain is happening. I've seen this same issue as your illustration with calling out station offset even back in LDD days. I guess considering this obvious issue since way back when, as well as the post I referred to with someone else having the same issue with superimposed profiles back in 2012... I had hoped there was a work around somebody has come up with. Basically what autodesk needs to come up with is a width/distance control for projecting or superimposing profiles.  Wishful thinking! ๐Ÿ˜„

zac 

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza

There is an idea station forum where that would be good content to add and maybe someday wec can see it.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

I'd try creating a corridor, in this corridor it would be a simple LinkWidthAndSlope from the source alignment to the desired alignment. I'd target the alignment and profile. I'd then extract a profile from the corridor which will then be associated with the alignment you desire.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 8 of 10

Hi Chris

How will that eliminate the zig zag due to switch back? And or a bisecting alignment through the trough of the switch back?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 10

It doesn't really fix it, it lets you control what data is in the profile. 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 10 of 10

I invision quire a few corridor Bow ties ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

ย 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ย