Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way we can add property fields to Pipe and Structure descriptions (automate them)?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
MauCabrera789
1277 Views, 6 Replies

Is there any way we can add property fields to Pipe and Structure descriptions (automate them)?

Hey,

I've got to edit the descriptions of many pipes in my pipe network. Further down the line, these descriptions should propagate into other consumer drawings that reference this pipe network. These descriptions would form a part of plan and crossing label styles and they have to come from the source drawing.

Since I have to edit many pipes, it seems clumsy to have to MANUALLY enter the internal diameter of each pipe into its description field (I know the I.D. field can be extracted in a consumer drawing my making a label style that does so). I was simply wondering if it's possible to put in a field in the description of the pipe to extract the internal diameter of said pipe, much like how it would be done in a label style.

I have tried the following (to no avail): 

1. Opened the description field of the pipe
  2. Pasted in the code that extracts the internal diameter parameter of the pipe into this description field
  3. The description field considers this code a string and does not extract any parameter

Screenshot 2020-10-23 a.jpgScreenshot 2020-10-23 asdfa.jpg

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: MauCabrera789

the description field is propagated directly from the part list. These description are from the defaults of the catalog. The part list can be modified to have pipe descriptions as desired. The diameter of the pipe can be reached by its own parameter for label styles. In other words the catalog is wasting space.

to your current challenge; in the source drawing for the network you can make global changes to the descriptions.

in the Panorama sort your pipe and highlight the ones you want to change the shift and ctrl key will help. once selected right click the description heading of the panorama and type the description you want. This works for renumbering too

these edits will propagate to your host drawings.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
MMcCall402

As Joe said you can have the pipes derive their descriptions from the parts list name for each pipe.  Below is where the setting is to make it use the description from the parts list rather than the description derived from the part definition formula. (partsizename)

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 4 of 7
MMcCall402

Now, rather than editing the pipes one by one you can view them in the panorama in toolspace, sort it by pipe size, select all pipes of the same size, right click on the column heading for Description and choose Edit.  This will then edit the description for all the selected pipes at one time.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 5 of 7
KirkWM

I believe the description field is static so you can't add in your own code. Like stated above, you can group rename at the end or you can use Dynamo to set the names for you. Attached is a script I just wrote that can take the inner diameter and set that as the object description for all pipe networks in a .dwg. Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 7
gleonhardt
in reply to: KirkWM

Hello,

is there also a way, that the description in the pipes is not filled with any properties from the component list?

We use the description for numbering the inletts in a structure. If in a structur going two pipes the first has the description 1 and the other the description 2.

Currently we must remove the description in each pipe to get correct labels.

See result of the labeling in the attached file.

Thaks 

Gerald

Message 7 of 7
KirkWM

If you are trying to just clear our the default pipe descriptions, you can use @MMcCall402 method of using panorama to delete the auto generated descriptions. The default behavior is using size name as the description, but you can disable this in pipe network feature settings. Hope this helps.

Screenshot 2021-03-31 173112.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report