Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to import txt files in this format?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jcamposKCEEH
645 Views, 11 Replies

is there a way to import txt files in this format?

Does anyone know if there is a way to import text files this format? not sure what program the firm uses but this is the text files I get. Would be nice if there is a way and I just do not know it. Would make my life easier. Thanks everyone! 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jcamposKCEEH

Import to what?

txt files are industry standards?

import MTEXT? Copy paste

Import to label style? Button it copy paste 

import data to alignment data? C3D has a required format you will need to modify the file accordingly 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Pointdump

Hi Jorge,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
Looks like some sort of report. I can't think of any way to feed it, as is, to Civil 3D.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 12
jroot

It does have coordinates for the PC's and PT's.  There is no way to import this txt file as it is but you could quickly copy and paste the coordinates and build a csv with point num, northing, easting, desc.  Once the points are in you could "connect the dots" and put together the alignment (if that's what the report is).

Message 5 of 12
LucasHicks
in reply to: jroot

I'm not saying it is but this looks a lot like a report that's included in Bentley software.  This is from ORD, but that could be from Geopak or Inroads.  If that's the case can you get them to send you the xml file of the alignment(s)?  That's your easiest solution.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 132847.png

OpenRoads Designer, Civil 3D
Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

You can lookup the import alignment from file format and parse your file to same

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
tcorey

Hello @jcamposKCEEH ,

@LucasHicks suggested you find out where the file originated. Maybe you can get an export to Civil 3D format. Trying to automate from that report to a c3d drawing could be very difficult and time consuming. If the file came from a Bentley product, they can probably export to MicroStation DGN format.  You can import that into Civil 3D.

@LucasHicks , do you know if InRoads or Geopak will create DGN?

Just wondering, how many of these do you have to process. If it's just the one, I created the alignment using C3D Alignment Creation Tools in about seven minutes. You've spent that just reading the answers to your question.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 8 of 12
LucasHicks
in reply to: tcorey

Inroads, Geopak, PowerInroads, and PowerGeopak use the dgn format and can create xml for surfaces, alignments, curves, profiles, etc from the databases.  They are the older versions, the new OpenRoads Designer is the latest from Bentley that has all the previously stated products rolled into one program with all geometry contained in the dgn rather than a database.  Whoever created the report should be able to get him what he needs to import into Civil3d with minimal effort.

Message 9 of 12
rl_jackson

Interesting, I am making a job transition where I'm going to need to learn Bentley products, mostly for the DOT work. I have the luxury that the FDOT does accept C3D files and have created various files to utilize with C3D. So OpenRoads Designer is the "end all be all" comparison to C3D. May just get a trial of that and run it through some hoops.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
LucasHicks
in reply to: rl_jackson

From what I know.  Geopak, Inroads, and MX (used in other countries) were programs that ran on top of Microstation years ago as civil design products.  Bentley bought all these companies and put them under their umbrella of products.  They updated these products but slowing turned them into PowerGeopak, PowerInroads, etc that didn't run on top of Microstation but were standalone products, no need to install Microstation then Geopak/Inroads on top.  These used databases for their cogo (alignments, profiles, points, etc) and such.  A few years back they revamped the whole thing with one product, OpenRoads Designer that supercedes PowerGeopak and PowerInroads and rolls it all in one.  They eliminated the database altogether and everything is stored in the dgn file.  If you create a corridor file for example, you just reference the alignment file and use that for your alignment and profile, no drefs involved (pretty slick actually).

So yes I guess it is the end all, be all moving forward.  They do have OpenSite for site design but most all of the tools are in OpenRoads.  They also have OpenBridge and OpenRail for those disciplines.

Message 11 of 12
Joe-Bouza

My bad there is no import alignment from file. but you could create an xml file from you report

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: LucasHicks

Thanks for the detail. By what I have learned from you, I would advise the OP, @jcamposKCEEH ,  to ask the report provider to provide .xml files for Civil objects, like alignments, surfaces, etc. That would avoid the need to develop a custom routine to read files like what he posted.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report