Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get Z values to text from pointcloud

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
haljendemil
384 Views, 4 Replies

Is there a way to get Z values to text from pointcloud

Hi

I have pointcloud made from UAV survey. I need to show some ground heights for my 2D topographical plan. So i need to make 3D point Z value to text, preferably text attachment point would be marked with a circle. Can anyone help me with that?

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: haljendemil

Hi @haljendemil,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
Is your point cloud in LAS format, or something else?
"...make 3D point Z value to text, preferably text attachment point would be marked with a circle."
More details please on what you want to do.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 5
ChrisRS

Welcome, I am with @Pointdump. More information would be helpful.

I recommend you create a surface based on your point cloud information and label that surface.

You can place surface spot elevation labels. You will get Z (elevation) values from the surface model, not directly from the point cloud. Civil 3D labels are versatile and contain markers or blocks, so your required circle is easily doable. Civil 3D surfaces can be stylized to show contours as well.

In my opinion, your first question should be, "How do I create a surface from a point cloud?" 

The answer to that depends on what kind of data you have,

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
TerryDotson
in reply to: ChrisRS

I recommend you create a surface based on your point cloud information and label that surface.

Assuming the quantity of points is of a reasonable small to medium size.  Of course, if they are able to display the point cloud it's likely a modest size.  Otherwise, I've seen single LAZ files that would bring Civil3D (and most triangulation engines) to a grinding halt. 

If a user had source data (in LAS/LAZ, etc) available, a tool could be developed to search for the nearest ground point to a picked location and label it.  It could even be a dynamic label.  If moved it would again find the nearest (class 2 ground) point and update.

Message 5 of 5
TerryDotson

I have pointcloud made from UAV survey. I need to show some ground heights for my 2D topographical plan.

If you retained your source lidar, this is now available in DotSoft's C3DTools.  We were able to create an interesting indexing of Lidar data that allows responsive (nearly instant) feedback from picking (it doesn't evaluate points outside the area of interest).  For this case it means you can simply pick a location without any surfaces defined and create static spot elevation markers either on the exact pick point or the nearest actual point).  When a picked point doesn't have any actual underlying lidar points it collects the points that surround it and creates an 'on the fly' triangulation to determine the elevation.  This temporary triangulation is virtually instant because it only uses a handful of points.

This logic turns a lidar file into a virtual surface, allowing multiple extractions, these are those that we came up with so far.

Topic Description

Class:Sets the current lidar class to search for, the default is always 2 (ground).
Drape:Sets the elevation of each vertex of a 3D object (such as 3dPolylines) to the elevation at the point.
Profile:Draws a static profile by picking points to show the profile direction.
Spots:
Nearest:Draws a static spot elevation at the nearest existing lidar point.
Picked:Draws a static spot elevation at the absolute point picked.
eXit:Exits the command when all desired options are complete.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report