Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invert displays differently when opened on different machines

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
SMorykin
398 Views, 16 Replies

Invert displays differently when opened on different machines

I received a helpdesk request last week from a user that claimed when he opened up his storm pipe drawing, he noticed 1 invert in particular showed the incorrect elevation however when his co-worker opened the drawing he showed the correct elevation.  The elevation of invert A-15 is supposed to show .26 however when others open the drawing (including me), it shows .26 until the drawing finishes loading.  As soon as it finishes loading, it displays .70.

I've checked Builds on the Win10 OS and even environment variables - all are the same.  I've also checked to ensure the grading data reference they were using was the same and up to date (no errors, regapps, everything purged, etc.).

I cannot figure out for the life of me why this drawing appears differently depending on who opens the file.  Any suggestions for other things to check?

If this post solves your issue or answers your question, Please select the ‘Accept as Solution’ button so other Community members may benefit. Thank you!
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: SMorykin

Hey Stacey. Can you attach the drawing so we can troubleshoot it and see if we get the same results?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 17
annw2

Are both users set to reference the same pipe network libraries on the same server drive?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 4 of 17
SMorykin
in reply to: annw2

@annw2 - yep, exactly same file which is why I'm so stumped!

If this post solves your issue or answers your question, Please select the ‘Accept as Solution’ button so other Community members may benefit. Thank you!
Message 5 of 17
SMorykin
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

@ToddRogers-WPM - Files are very large so I will try and upload all of them

Message 6 of 17
SMorykin

@ToddRogers-WPM - More

Message 7 of 17
SMorykin

@ToddRogers-WPM - even more

Message 8 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

This is caused from using a shallow inlet. What happens is the barrel height clearance is set to Constant. It needs to be changed to List so that it can be adjusted to work. Do you want me to create a screencast on how to fix? You have to go to the Part Builder to fix Smiley Surprised

Todd Rogers
Message 9 of 17
SMorykin

@ToddRogers-WPM - Let me reiterate the issue;

- When different users open the CU-ST.dwg, the grate inlet of A-15 shows as 643.70 on some machines, and 643.26 on other machines.

I'm sorry but I'm confused on how a part already assigned and inverts established are showing differently based on which machine it's opened.

I'm familiar with part builder but respectively disagree that the two are directly related.

Message 10 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

And you've checked and made sure that all the machines are pointing to the same catalog? That's the only thing that would be causing this as far as I am aware of.

Todd Rogers
Message 11 of 17
MMcCall402

Structures usually push the top of the structure up when it reaches a minimum clearance from the top of a structure and a connected pipe.   

Even so, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be doing this on every machine if they're all using the same parts catalog.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 12 of 17
SMorykin

All our catalogs are pushed firm-wide by my team and a parts list is established in our templates.  I did check time stamps of several machines (including my own) last week just to ensure everyone was reading the same content.  We haven't updated that specific structure catalog in over a year but everyone is on the same time stamp.

I even checked sysvar just in case someone modified their environment and everyone is on the same path.

Message 13 of 17
MMcCall402

Which value is correct invert labeled?   and is that value the actual invert of the pipe?   (cuz people manually edit labels ... grr)

Is there possibly more than one label?

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 14 of 17
SMorykin
in reply to: MMcCall402

A-15 is the Inlet and the correct value should show 643.26.  If I open the CU-ST file it shows 643.70 - it may show differently on your machine as that seems to be whats happening in house.  Even if it was a manual override (I 'grrrr' as well) - it should appear as the same value regardless of who opens the file... right?

Message 15 of 17
SMorykin

So apparently another user's hard drive just got rebuilt - and it miraculously appeared correctly.  So in their infinite wisdom, decided to copy the part catalog from that 'working' computer to the computer that wasn't working and now that too is showing the correct numbers.  I only applied windows updates on my machine and now see the correct numbers.  So I feel like I'm back to square 1 trying to figure out the cause....

1) Windows updates??  (no way right?  I mean, if Windows updates are causing that kind of issue, bigger problem on our hands)

2) Copied part catalog?  (but the time stamps are EXACTLY the same, so 'nothing' changed)

Still no real answer as to why...

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

this is a long shot but is it possible that there are more then one part file, say from different versions of civil 3d and the wrong invert is pointing to a different part file via options?

Message 17 of 17
SMorykin
in reply to: Anonymous

Double checked your suggestion and unfortunately not the case... thanks though!  Much appreciated.

Update:  We've rebuilt the hard drive of another machine that has the issue and now the file appears correctly on all machines.  I have no idea what caused this issue... a forever mystery.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report