Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Triangles for Corridor Surface

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
859 Views, 7 Replies

Incorrect Triangles for Corridor Surface

Civil 3D 2007, SP3

When creating a surface from my corridor, some triangles connect from the top back of curb to the bottom of my retaining wall (used general link). It does not always connect to the back of my sidewalk.

I have added the feature line sidewalk_out to the surface with the top link. Thoughts? Please see attached image.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

the sidewalk should already be coded as TOP so if i am thinking correctly you should need to add that feature line. Although adding it, should be redundant i would think. But anyhow I would try to delete the sidewalk out FL from the surface definition and see what happens.

Matt
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

It wasn't working so I added the sidewalk FL. Nothing changed.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

well if you dont need real accurate quantities at the moment you could model that part of your corridor with a generic link like linkwidth and slope to get your Top Surface to model correctly at least.

From what I could see in your screen shot that isnt the only station/section that isnt modeling correctly. How often is it happening?

Also, if you have a more recent version of C3D like 08SP2 you could try it there and see if it has been fixed or if the issue persists.

Im leaving for the day right now but would be willing to test it for you in C3D08SP2 tomorrow if you want to post the file.

Matt
Message 5 of 8
dana.probert

The "raw" corridor surface build uses ONLY the coded POINTS and nothing else, so there are sometimes errors in triangulation.

If you add links as breaklines, that helps a lot.

If you then add specific corridor feature lines to the corridor surface, that can also help lock down any errant bits and pieces.

There is a heap of corridor surface modeling theory in Mastering Civil 3D chapter 12 (such as how the surfaces are built, how to improve them, what all of the options mean.) If you happen to have a copy laying around, you might find it useful for some of the "under the hood" stuff.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 6 of 8
dana.probert

ahhh... also try overhang correction.

there are some captures of bum triangulation and how its fixed here:

http://www.civil3d.com/2007/07/overhang-correction-to-repair-wacky-corridor-surfaces/

dana
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for offering Matt,
My client uses 2007 and I was not sure what would get lost if I used 2008 and saved down to 2007.

Dana, I will keep all the 2008 tips in mind.

I ended up changing the generic link to a retaining wall subassembly- even though I don't need all the footing and footing cover it is finally modeling correctly (using only the top link). I attached an image.
Message 8 of 8
steve_mazza
in reply to: dana.probert

@dana.probert wrote:
If you then add specific corridor feature lines to the corridor surface, that can also help lock down any errant bits and pieces.

Blast from the past ... Thanks for this suggestion, Dana!  I had a corridor where all the links looked correct, but the surface triangulation just would NOT work right.  One point was always skipped, leading to an improper slope.  All the codes checked out ... I was at wit's end.  But this suggestion, to extract the corridor feature line and add it to the surface, has fixed it!  In modern versions of Civil 3D, the feature line can even stay dynamically linked to the corridor.  Finally, I got my surfaces fixed and I can move on!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report