Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing SID from GIS to AutoCAD

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
23952 Views, 8 Replies

Importing SID from GIS to AutoCAD

I am trying to to import .sid layer I have in a GIS file I have. I exported it as different layers I thought would be appropriate for inserting into AutoCAD such as jpg and tiff, and tried inserting using mapiinsert, mapimport and attach command. The aerial does not drop in the correct location in AutoCA(asks for a coordinate and I have to manually input something such as 0,0,0)

Is there a step by step instruction on how to bring an aerial (.sid) into autocad? I have a couple of years of background in autocad/civil3d and also experienced working with ArcGIS. Thank you. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

B,

Can you post your SID, or a link to it?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 9
AllenJessup

Do you have a matching world file for you images. A SID world file would be a .SDW extension. Tiff would be .TFW and a JPG wold be JGW.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
jefflambert9091

If you are in ArcGIS you can export your image under File- Export Map. I save them as a JPEG. Make sure you check the Write World File box at the very bottom.

In AutoCAD you can then use the "MAPIINSERT" command. It will read the image and automatically reference the world file and come in the right place.

Make sure you are consistent with your Coordinate systems. 

I like to open my SIDs in LizardTech's free GeoViewer and export the map through there. It is limited to the view on screen, but it more user friendly. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 9
Pointdump

B,

Jeff's advice about LizardTech's GeoViewer is excellent.

As Allen says, you'll need at least an "SDW" world file, and an XML file containing Metadata (data about the data) would also be good:

MrSID_3.png

With those additional files, _MAPCONNECT or _MAPIINSERT will place the MrSID in the correct location automatically:

MrSID_1.png

MrSID_2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 9
ITandCADguy

@Anonymous, you have mentioned AutoCAD, but not Civil 3D or Map.  Which product are you using?

With C3D or Map, you can set the coordinate system of the drawing quite easily, but with vanilla AutoCAD this is problematic, as you have to pick a location on the map and then a corresponding point in your drawing.  This won't match up with anything that is georeferenced.

Message 7 of 9

If you have plain AutoCAD you can bring in the image though the image manger and read the world file to get it in the right place. The x/y coords are the top left and there is a scale reference. You can look at the properties of the Image though explorer on the details tab and use that to scale the image in the drawing.

In this case my Image properties dimensions are 4860*3147. The world file info is shown below. I make a circle of the x/y and insert the image there, then scale to 4860*3147 then scale it down .5 per the world file.  

If I had a nickel every time I had to do this in the past. Thank goodness for MAPIINSERT.

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 9
AllenJessup

I would think that since the OP reverences "using mapiinsert, mapimport" that they have Map 3D at least.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
ITandCADguy
in reply to: AllenJessup

Yep.  I missed the part about using MapIInsert.

Brain is already on vacation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report