Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported DGN file. Everything seems to have moved.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
doni49
365 Views, 7 Replies

Imported DGN file. Everything seems to have moved.

I recieved a dgn file from the Army Corps of Engineers.  I imported it into an acad file.  When I did, everything seems to have moved into outer space.

I discussed this with my contact at the Corps and he confirmed that his file is set up to be in the same coordinate zone that I'm using (MO83-EF).  So I had him place three cogo points in the file and give me the coordinates of those points.  After I imported his file again, I checked the coordinates of those points against what he said the coordinates SHOULD be.  They're still out in outerspace.

So I moved, rotated and scaled EVERYTHING so that the coordinates now line up perfectly.  Having done that, I can reference his file into mine without issue.

What about the import process could cause this?

When importing, I saw an option to convert sub-units or master-units to dwg units.  I tried both options and saw NOTHING different between the two imports.  But that was the only thing I could find that seemed like it MIGHT make a difference.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what's causing this?

He's using Microstation V8i Select Series 2.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: doni49

So it was the right units but in the wrong place? Not 10 or 12 times larger than expected? That's the kind of error I've seen and why they now give the Master or sub-unit conversion option.

Is it possible that there was the equivalent of a UCS in the DGN?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
doni49
in reply to: AllenJessup

I'm going to try it again and see how much I have to scale it to get it into the right place.  But I tried changing the following setting Monday and regardless of which option I chose, there was no change (as best I could tell).

ImportingDGNFile.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

Try MAPIMPORT.  It tends to not shift using this method.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 8
doni49

Well I just reimported the file and then attached as an XRef my previous file (the one that's in the correct location) to this one.  I changed the insertion scale to 12.  Having done that I'm able to move the XRef right into place and all three cogo points line up.

So that at least seems to confirm there's an issue with the units.  But I'm still at a loss as to what to do about it the next time I need to import a dgn file.  I'm up a creek without a paddle if that happens and I can't get the sender (or someone else) to provide me with enough info to fix it.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

You should definitely be selecting Master units. Also see HERE.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
AllenJessup

This might also lend a clue.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-7C9ADB83-3E60-4111-8482-ACC1296...

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
doni49
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

You should definitely be selecting Master units. Also see HERE.

Allen

That was my first inclination.  But when I wasn't getting good results, I decided to try sub-units.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report