Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a google earth image or a satellite image to civil 3D

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
13686 Views, 28 Replies

Import a google earth image or a satellite image to civil 3D

Fellow civil 3D users,

I trust this message finds you well,

I hereby would like to request for information on how to do two things:

1. How do I import the satellite imagery to civil 3D and would that have an effect on my computer(i.e. in terms of performance)?

2. How do I import google earth images to civil 3D?

Please not that I am using Civil 3D, version 2018.

Hoping to read from you soon,

Fabrice

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
MMcCall402
in reply to: Anonymous

I save the image from Google Earth Pro at the highest image quality available then insert that image as I would any other JPG file.  Hopefully you'll have some line work  in you file of something that shows in the image that you can use to align the image.  If not, you could load up a georeferenced im age from another source (bing, or SID image) and use that to align it using some similar image content.  Accuracy is kinda rough.

As for the performance impact, that depends on the extent of the image, contents of your current cad file and your computer specs. For me, its usually a noticeable impact but workable. I keep it turned off unless I need it.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 29
rl_jackson

First and foremost under the drawing settings you'll need to set the drawing in a zone. State Plane, UTM. Something.

Once you have a zone stet there are two ways to bring in imagery that is aquired from other sources. I personally use usgs earth explorer for my stuff but there are a host of others some free some with fees.

Now a direct insert would be using the mapiinsert command. Which will place it based on a twf file that you download with the image or a georefernced Tiff that has the info in the image. As far as system performance it depends on ram and processor. But usually if it's just a couple of tiles you'll not see all that much of a performance drain.

Now if you start getting into a large number of tiles (images) you may want to bring them in using the Map Task Pane. This is very similar but has it's draw backs.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 29
LeafRiders

If your drawing is produced with a relative coordinate system, set your coordinates using the "Planning and Analysis" workspace, see Ribbon "Map Setup". Under "Coordinate System" you can "Assign" one that is specific to your working environment. Once that step is complete, you will see a "Geolocation" ribbon tab on the same Ribbon.

This part of the ribbon allows you to select from a drop down from "Online Map" tab, to be set from "Map Off" to "Map Aerial". This operation requires that you are logged into your A360 account. So if you're all setup and ready to go, this function works great. It provides you with an image quickly without the need to rubbersheet the image to linework or anything along those lines.

This may not provide you with the best image, but it may suit your task. Good luck with the process.

Message 5 of 29
DrawingModel

You can use special application to download Google Satellite (and many other)

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctc8xk0tl98

The application is FREE and can by downloaded here http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=47908.0 (registration required)

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: DrawingModel

Hello,

I think i was not well understood here, my question was how to import a google earth or satellite image to civil 3D. when we have a satellite image, its very clear and very detailed which means it is also a very heavy.now, I want to import this satellite image to civl 3D and but I don't really know how to do this. Please let me know if you know of any ways of inputting the satelllite image to civl 3D.

Best regards

Fabrice                                      

Message 7 of 29
DrawingModel

If you have a georeferenced raster file then use mapiinsert command

Message 8 of 29
neilyj666

What format is the image and does it have georeferencing information?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 29
Pointdump

Fabrice,

Please post your image file(s), including world files. You might have to Zippola to post. This Forum will allow up to 75MB file size.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hello,

I have followed your procedure and I am having trouble using the map insert command. when I use it i am getting a response saying that It is not allowed to use the mapinsert command on model space. What would be the solution to this?

Regards,

Fabrice

Message 11 of 29
Pointdump

Fabrice,

Please post a Screenshot of the dialogue box you get. What are the EXACT steps you are using to insert your image and what kind of image(format) do you have?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: DrawingModel

I have tried but It seems like we cannot use this command as in model space

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Yes, it does. Images are in tiff and twf format

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Dear Dave, @Pointdump

I am using a very simple method;

1. Home tab>toolspace>drawing1>Edit drawing settings

This helps me input the coordinate system I am in i.e. UTM-WGS1984 datum, 35 South

2. then use command "mapiinsert" 

This would help me input the tiff file but I am getting a dilogue box(see attahed file)

I have .tiff image that comes with .tfw files

Regards,

Fabrice

Message 15 of 29
Pointdump

Fabrice,

Please post your Tiff and World File.(Zip them together) It'll help to find the problem.

Sometimes C3D just doesn't like a Tiff file. Whenever that happens to me, I check with two free programs, <<<GeoViewer>>> and <<<QGIS>>>.

Verify Metric Units with -UNITS command. And try using _MAPCONNECT to bring in the Tiff.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 16 of 29
mnorris843

can you xref it into the drawing?

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Thank you very much Dave, The TIff file is too heavy. Can't post it here.

I have not found the solution yet

Message 18 of 29
Pointdump

Fabrice,

That must be some Tiff if it exceeds the 75MB file limitation of this Forum. OK, you can use DropBox or <<<DropCanvas>>>. Probably A360 would work also, but I don't know how to use that.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 19 of 29
LeafRiders

What's happening here is that someone isn't reading the responses.  Now we have multiple people chasing their tails for someone who simply can't enter in a command properly. If you're going to use these discussion boards you need to follow instructions and help the process. Not mindlessly say something isn't working.

Enter in MAPIINSERT    - this is with two letter I's in the middle.     MAP  I   INSERT... You are typing in MAPINSERT.

Glad the problem is solved, moving on. Good Luck!

Message 20 of 29
rl_jackson
in reply to: LeafRiders

As seen as far back as post 3 Smiley Very Happy

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report