Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you've got an nVidia Quadro P4000, pls benchmark/performance test & report!

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
6584 Views, 14 Replies

If you've got an nVidia Quadro P4000, pls benchmark/performance test & report!

If you're using an nVidia Quadro P4000 GPU, specifically, I'd like to ask you a huge favor. Run a benchmark test on your system, or at least the graphics card, and report the results to me, please.

The gist:
I used the free trial period of PassMark PerformanceTest to benchmark my machine. If you're willing to run a similar test, I'd really love to see the comparison. It will assess and stress-test CPU, memory, drive(s), 2D and 3D graphics. If you've got something else (that's free), feel free to run it on your software and just let me know which you used so I can grab it myself.

I'm happy to see benchmark tests for other cards and hardware configurations, but I'm specifically looking for a 1:1 comparison of the nVidia Quadro P4000, since that's my card.

The background and expansion:
I had been using AutoCAD C3D 2014 for a while with relatively poor performance -- slow and choppy panning and zooming with 2D drafting, often locking up and crashing on anything more serious -- on a Dell M4800 with a Quadro K1100M card. More than enough per Autodesk's hardware specifications (the rest of the system, too). I upgraded to C3D 2019, and had slightly worse (than my already crappy) performance, and it was affecting my work substantially. I decided to buy/build a new machine myself. I had a custom computer built around the Quadro P4000 card. 2x 6-core Xeon E5-2640 CPUs, 64 GB RAM, SSD, P4000 GPU, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, very latest drivers and BIOS, etc.

I ran a benchmarking test on my machine, and found some interested results. The most surprising result was fairly low benchmark score on 2D graphics with this card. 3D graphics, I'm at 7369 or 86th percentile. 2D graphics, on the other hand, is 462 or 34th percentile. I'm not thrilled with my memory or disk benchmarks, but they're in the 60s for percentile, which suggests they're not the weak link.

Most of the drafting that I do is really 2D, mostly simple vector (linework and hatching), a little complex vector (solid-shaded hatching). There are 3D data, but everything I'm trying to render 99.9% of the time is 2D as far as the screen is concerned. And in an extended troubleshooting effort, I deleted all the stuff that really lands in complex vector, leaving essentially linework. I've done all the recommended cleanup and optimization stuff, trust me. I've followed forums, Autodesk articles, and been troubleshooting with Autodesk tech support for a week now. I've even done the painful clean uninstall of everything Autodesk, and reinstall, with rural internet speeds - 4-6 Mbps download. No luck.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sirjoelsph
in reply to: Anonymous

I only have a Quadro M4000.  Very similar card, just the older generation.  I got similar scores to yours.

The rest of my system is an HP Z440, Xeon E5-1630 @3.70GHz, 32 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, Win10 Pro 64bit.

-JOEL
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: sirjoelsph

Joel, would you be so kind as to run the 2D batch of tests once more for me, but screen grab the results of the full 2D battery of tests? I've got perfectly good Direct2D, and a couple other passable metrics, but simple vectors (28-34th percentile), complex vectors (8-9th percentile), and Windows interface (9th percentile) are just embarrassing. I realize there are a lot of factors at play, but that's why I'm doing everything I can to troublehsoot.

If you'd be willing to screenshot-grab those numbers for me (just the 2D tests), I'd really appreciate it. Mine are attached. {whimper}

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

I have an NVIDIA Quadro P4000 card.
I am running AutoCAD 2018 on an HP Z440 Workstation.

The informational message I got when I first launched AutoCAD:
"Hardware Acceleration is On, however, you may experience some perfromance issues as your graphics card does not meet the recommended criteria"

Ran the Performance Test you suggested.
Sorry, can't upload the image, but results are as follows:
PASSMARK RATING SCORE: 5207
Percentile: 92%
CPU Mark: 13548 - 95th percentile
2D Mark: 801 - 80th percentile
3D Mark: 11546 - 96th percentile
Memory Mark: 2643 - 88th percentile

The graphics card AutoCAD seems to recommend is Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks! I've figured out that the first gen E5-26xx series processors are great at math, but terrible at managing graphics interfaces. I got better 2D performance when my system couldn't identify a graphics card installed! I switched the CPU configuration from (2x) E5-2640s to (1) E5-1620, and the system was suddenly much better. Still not great, and not even close to taking advantage of the GPU's power. So...

I'm having a new system built. I had a computer built around the card, not realizing that there were a bunch of potential bottlenecks not directly related to the GPU. Now, only my lackluster CAD skills will be the bottleneck. I'm into this a bit more money, and a lot more time, than I originally intended. But the upside is I should have a screaming machine once this is all done. I'll post my results once it's all assembled and up and running.

Cheers

Message 6 of 15
lwaters

I am interested to hear of your progress with this new machine as I am struggling with some performance issues and considering an upgrade. Could you please post an update?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: lwaters

Sure thing. First, here are the important components of the machine I had built:

• Intel i9-9900k (standard turbo on, no overclocking right now)
  • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200
  • 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSD
  • nVidia Quadro P4000 8 GB GDDR5

The rest is just stuff supporting the above hardware.

I still have some beastly files (my own fault) that are a little laggy when everything's turned on, but this computer largely handles anything I throw at it like a champ. I'm very pleased.

What I've found is that the specs Autodesk recommends are very much a general guide. The keys to quick 2D performance, if that's your issue as well, are fast *single-thread* processing power/performance. a 52-core machine might be terrible at AutoCAD, and a 2- or 4-core might be great. I really tapped into PerformanceTest's database of performance benchmarks. Single-thread performance is the key for AutoCAD. What I've managed to glean is that at a minimum, I'd want something like this:

• i7-7700k/i7-8700k/i9-9700k (the k isn't material if you're not overclocking, but the stock speeds on these chips are slightly higher than their non-k counterparts) - basically aim for at least 3.5 GHz, but ideally 4+, since the chips are out there, and most of the basic work a computer does in AutoCAD is done by the processor with the help of RAM and storage.
  • DDR4 RAM, and I really believe that 32 GB is the minimum
  • SSD - doesn't matter too much beyond that, but your primary working drive should definitely be solid state.
  • I think I could likely "get away" with much less video card. It depends on what you're primarily doing, but I'm rarely demanding 3D graphics performance from my card, hence the emphasis on 2D and single-thread performance of the machine. Quadro P2000 is probably just fine, perhaps even lower. And AMD makes some good cards for very competitive prices. I'd stick with at least 2 GB RAM, and aim for 4, but unless you're rendering complex 3D models, I doubt you need the Quadro P4000. I surely don't, but I couldn't get my money back out of the card, so I figured I'd "future-proof" my machine.

For what it's worth, no one at nVidia or Autodesk could help me figure out what the issue was. This was time-consuming and expensive trial and error/troubleshooting.

One more take-away - CAD best practices are your friend. The easier you make it for your machine to handle AutoCAD, the better. AutoCAD is a beast which has been developed over at least 30 years (I've been using some form of AutoCAD software since 1990), and though I'm no programmer, I'd wager there's a blank-slate rebuild necessary in the future.

Cheers

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

These particular specs are not applicable for laptops/mobile workstations, but the same keys apply. > 3.5-4.0 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, SSD, good video card.

Message 9 of 15
lwaters

Wow, very thorough. Thank you very much for taking the time to post these updates. I found myself with similar issues as you and this is very helpful.

Message 10 of 15
pawelszumski
in reply to: lwaters

Hi, I've just got HP Z2 G4:

-Xeon 2124G

-NVidia Quadro P4000

-32 GB RAM 2666MHz

- 500 GB SSD NVMe

That's the test results:

Test.png

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pawelszumski

Thanks!

Message 12 of 15
BlackBox_

Ran this on my 2+ year old Dell Precision 3620 (got them July 2017); here are my specs:

Intel Quad-Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2 Ghz single-core clock speed (without XTU OC)

* 500 GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe/M.2 SSD

** 64 GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 RAM, 2400 Mhz @ CL17

8 GB NVIDIA Quadro P4000 GPU

* PerformanceTest app's Disk Mark only measures C:\ drive (NVMe/M.2 SSD), which is a lot slower than the drive I actually use for ACAD, C3D, etc (for that, see Crystal Disk Mark image at bottom).

** The Precision's UEFI (BIOS) is hard-coded to run the RAM at 2400 Mhz @ CAS Latency (CL) 17. This RAM supports 2400 Mhz @ CL12, which for the uninitiated, CL12 is +/- 30% faster than CL17 at same frequency. I'm speaking with Dell now to try and get them to port the Alienware UEFI (BIOS) menu over to Precision product line, so Precision customers can leverage Intel XMP & utilize any available RAM profiles. 

2019-09-06_10-27-16.jpg2019-09-06_10-29-30.jpg2019-09-06_10-29-34.jpg2019-09-06_10-29-46.jpg2019-09-06_10-29-50.jpg2019-09-06_10-29-56.jpg2019-09-06_10-29-59.jpg

Link: https://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?169462-Civil-3D-High-Performance-Workstations&p=1343052&viewf...

[QUOTE]

Consistently hitting the +/- 10,000 MB/s (SeqQ32T1) mark now:

2019-08-07_14-59-22.jpg

[/QUOTE]

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Hello,

Out of curiosity did you do a Pass mark Performance test with that PC build. Would you be willing to share it? I am looking at a PC that has about the same hardware specs. I am wondering what scores you received for overall, CPU and ram to compare to other PC workstations. Thinking about upgrading PC at my office.

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I apparently didn't record them anywhere. The results were pretty similar to BlackBox's results above with the i7-7700k, but with higher CPU performance, as expected. Everything was in the mid to upper 90s. I think the 2D was something like 95th percentile. But basically apart from the CPU running *slightly* faster, same as above. Strong. If I could download the trial of Passmark again, I'd run it again for you.

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Hello,
I have the NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 and AutoCad 2018.
The performance is very poor and I don't know what to do anymore.
When I open a file of at least 1 mega, it takes forever to open it, then switching from model to layout also takes time and sometimes freezes at all and take a time to respond. I do not have any XREF or any other extra "normal" thing...
I have tried all commands like AUDIT, PURGE, -PURGE (+REGAPPS), SAVING IN DXF, REGEN, REGEN ALL, saving the entire drawing with WBLOCK... changing my point style, deleting scales that I do not use... etc..
But it is with each file that I have...and even when I start a new drawing from scratch I get the same issues after saving it and opening again another day.
I stopped saving in the server to my local drive...
Actually every time that I used it I get the prompt of "Hardware Acceleration is On, however, you may experience some performance issues as your graphics card does not meet the recommended criteria" - like alex.nunez

Any suggestion or anything new that you know that can help me, I will really appreciate it...for real.
This is driving me crazy. I have been using Autocad since 2003... but with this video card, I am feeling like a newbie... I am really disappointed that I have not been able to resolve my performance and speed... and at work I am the only one with this Computer..

PC Model: DELL Precision 3630 Tower
My processor it's INTEL CORE i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
RAM 64 GB

Many thanks,

This is my TUNER LOG:
Card name: NVIDIA Quadro P4000
Driver version: 26.21.14.4250
Tuning Date: 3/9/2020
Virtual device: Dx11 (Hardware)
                The card and driver meets the recommended requirement.
Display Adapters:
 NVIDIA Quadro P4000(Primary)
 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
Certification:
 Hardware Available     True
 Hardware Recommended   False
 Status                 0
 Hardware ID            2
 Hardware Feature Level 50
 Software Feature Level 50
General Options:
 Adaptive Degradation           True
 Discard Backfaces              True
 Dynamic Tessellation           True
 Generate Vertex Normals        False
 Handedness                     Right
 Maximum LODs                   6
 Redraw on Window Expose        True
 Surface Tessellation Tolerance 92
 Transparency                   MediumQuality
Additional System Information:
 ComputerSystem
  Manufacturer        Dell Inc.
  Model               Precision 3630 Tower
  NumberOfProcessors  1
  TotalPhysicalMemory xxx-xxxxxxxx
 Processor
  MaxClockSpeed             3696
  Name                      Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
  NumberOfCores             6
  NumberOfLogicalProcessors 12
  Revision                  
 OperatingSystem
  Name                    Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
  OSLanguage              1033
  ServicePackMajorVersion 0
  ServicePackMinorVersion 0
  TotalSwapSpaceSize      
  TotalVirtualMemorySize  76896124
  Version                 10.0.18362
 DiskDrive1
  Model PC SN730 NVMe WDC 512GB
  Name  \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
  Size  512105932800
 DisplayConfiguration
  DeviceName       NVIDIA Quadro P4000
  DisplayFrequency 60
  DriverVersion    
  PelsHeight       768
  PelsWidth        1024
 VideoController0
  AdapterDACType              Integrated RAMDAC
  AdapterRAM                  4293918720
  ConfigManagerErrorCode      0
  CurrentHorizontalResolution 1920
  CurrentVerticalResolution   1080
  DriverDate                  20200224000000.000000-000
  DriverVersion               26.21.14.4250
  InstalledDisplayDrivers     C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispwi.inf_amd64_20b288c94419683a\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispwi.inf_amd64_20b288c94419683a\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispwi.inf_amd64_20b288c94419683a\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispwi.inf_amd64_20b288c94419683a\nvldumdx.dll
  Name                        NVIDIA Quadro P4000
  Status                      OK
  TimeOfLastReset             
  VideoArchitecture           5
  VideoModeDescription        1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors
 VideoController1
  AdapterDACType              Internal
  AdapterRAM                  1073741824
  ConfigManagerErrorCode      0
  CurrentHorizontalResolution 
  CurrentVerticalResolution   
  DriverDate                  20190925000000.000000-000
  DriverVersion               26.20.100.7262
  InstalledDisplayDrivers     C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_a89f6fb1ab9c9d7f\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_a89f6fb1ab9c9d7f\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_a89f6fb1ab9c9d7f\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_a89f6fb1ab9c9d7f\igd12umd64.dll
  Name                        Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
  Status                      OK
  TimeOfLastReset             
  VideoArchitecture           5
  VideoModeDescription        

Process Information:
 Loaded ARX and CRX Modules
  acapp.arx
  acapp.crx
  acautoloader.crx
  acautoloader.arx
  acexperience.arx
  acpublish.crx
  acpublish.arx
  AcPi.arx
  acjscorestub.crx
  acgsconfig.arx
  acgsconfig.crx
  acvmtools.crx
  vl.crx
  accloudconnect.crx
  aclaunchnfw.arx
  acsign.arx
  acetutil.arx
  acrobatacadic.arx
  pdfmacad.arx
  vl.arx
  acxrefesw.arx
  acismui.crx
  AcXrefService.arx
  acISMui.arx
  acdgnui.arx
  acdgnui.crx
  acdgnlsdraw.crx
  acsmnav.arx
  acdatalink.crx
  AcFdEval.crx
  accalcengine.crx
  actable.arx
  AcFdUi.arx
  AcDataLink.arx
  actable.crx
  acdcframe.arx
  acdcsymbols.arx
  acopm.arx
  acobjclassimp.arx
  AcOcSchemaUtil.arx
  acopmext.arx
  AcPEXCtl.arx
  acdim.arx
  acdim.crx
  acsecopt.arx
  aeccore.crx
  acETransmitui.arx
  aecloader.arx
  aeccsubentsel.arx
  acsmartcenter.crx
  accmmgr.crx
  acparameter.crx
  acmodeldoc.arx
  AcModelDoc.crx
  acmodeldocoe.crx
  acseek.arx
  acblock.arx
  acblock.crx
  acqp.arx
  acoscale.arx
Effects:
 ACAD_LineSmoothing      supported     turned on
 ACAD_PerPixelLighting   supported     turned on
 ACAD_AdvancedMaterial   supported     turned on
 ACAD_FullShadows        supported     turned off
 ACAD_TextureCompression supported     turned off
 ACAD_HQGeom             supported     turned off
 ACAD_GlowHighlighting   supported     turned on
 ACAD_Dx11               supported     turned on 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report