Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to offset a profile in profile view?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
13088 Views, 3 Replies

How to offset a profile in profile view?

I created a profile of an existing ground using alignment. I have my profile view now showing the existing grade. How can I offset the existing line (or profile line) by 2 feet? I don't want to use Create Offset Alignment tool because I think it will offset it horizontally not vertically. Is there any way to just offset a profile on profile-view itself? 

I know I can explode it then it will into a block with no name which I must re-explode it into tiny little lines. But that's not the best way to do it I guess. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

Just copy it down (or up) the appropriate distance, allowing for the scale.

Bill

Message 3 of 4
Jeew-m
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeew-m

It completely depends on what you want to use the offset profile for and whether your horizontal alignment is fixed or liable for change. If it's just to get an offset from the ground level to  use as a design aid then I would just create a new surface, paste your existing into it and lower it using the surface edit tools. Then create a new surface profile and add it to your profile view.

I wouldn't usually copy profiles in the profile view as the new profile is static and is in no way tied to the original profile. If you adjust your horizontal alignment in the future the copied profile will not update to match your offset from the ground levels in the new alignment location. If you instead lower a copy of the surface then the required offset will be maintained and update if you adjust your horizontal alignment.

Regards,

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report