Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Narrow Offset Alignemnt

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Emmanuel_Kilama
498 Views, 6 Replies

How to Narrow Offset Alignemnt

Is there a way i let my Offset Alignment Follow ascertain path (eg the polyline in red-dotted)

Attached is a pic.

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

There is, you'll just have to select your offset alignment > right-click > Add Widening:

vsilvestre_0-1713053658204.png

Next, it will ask if the widening to be added will be a separate alignment, the default is no, and just enter.  From here you specify the start & end points of the widening/narrowing.  One thing to note is that this does not include transitioning/taper distances at the start and end, so you'll be specifying the full width start and end:

vsilvestre_3-1713054154268.png

Once the limits are defined, it will ask you the offset distance of this new segement:

vsilvestre_2-1713053875633.png

Once the widenings have been added, you can edit them by using the grips or by selecting > right-click > Edit Offset Parameters:

vsilvestre_5-1713054545162.png

vsilvestre_6-1713054721147.png

Message 3 of 7
lim.wendy
in reply to: v-silvestre

Hi Emmanuel, 

Thank you for submitting your question in our discussion forums. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

It looks like @v-silvestre provided you with the steps to narrow offset alignment, so for now, I will mark this thread as "Solved." This won't prevent other folks from commenting on this question though, in the event other ideas come up!

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

If the suggestions helped you, please hit the "Accept Solution" button, as it helps make the solution easier to find for others who might have the same issue. Knowing which topics are solved or not can also help our many users find the questions that still need to be answered. It’s also a great way to say thank you and give recognition to whoever helped you. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 4 of 7

Sorry for the late response but this doesn't seem to work for the offset alignment narrowing at the end as per attached pic above. In my case the Offset alignments are narrowing to reduce the lane width from 3.5m to 2.5m at the end. So, it will look like just a smooth transition to the end of the alignment.

Message 5 of 7

Hi Emmanuel, is it possible to upload the drawing?

Message 6 of 7

Please find here attached.

Message 7 of 7

Hi Emmanuel, thanks for posting the drawing.  I apologize, I misspoke in my previous post.  What I had suggested was to add a widening which adds 3 segments to your offset alignment: a Transition In, Widening & Transition Out.  (FYI, the reason why it wasn't adding the widening (no solution) was because the default values of the widening was too large for this part of the alignment.)

After working with your file, the best way to achieve this is by highlighting the offset alignment > click the Plus node:

vsilvestre_1-1713558656741.png

This will add a single Widening with no transitions:

vsilvestre_2-1713558704044.png

From here select the offset alignment > right-click > Edit Offset Parameters:

vsilvestre_3-1713558766863.png

Next, adjust the values for the Transition In Length, Widening Region Offset, Length & Start Station:

vsilvestre_4-1713558960990.png

One thing to note is that the Region Length cannot be zero; I had to extend your main alignment by 1m and then set the Region Length to be 1m.

vsilvestre_0-1713558535272.png

I've uploaded the modified file, but let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report