Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do cut/fill calculation between two surfaces?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dchen56
706 Views, 6 Replies

How to do cut/fill calculation between two surfaces?

Hello everybody,

I am currently working on a grading plan for my senior project. I am representing two pad finished grade elevations with feature lines. I want to calculate the cut and fill volumes between the finished grade and the existing ground TIN surface.

Is there a way to convert the feature lines that I have created into a finished grade surface? And once this surface is created, how can I do a cut and fill calculation between the finished grade surface and the existing grade surface?

I have attached my DWG file for reference.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: dchen56

'Ok, you're site is in SLO, correct?

You'll need to create a surface for your building. Add the building's feature line (your bldg's footprint) as a 'breakline'  to the surface definition. Next you'll compare the two surfaces (EG vs new Bldg surface you just created). 

Select EG (you'll get a contextual ribbon)=>on contextual ribbon go to Analyze Panel=>Volumes Dashboard (the Panorama will open)=>Click Create New Volume Surface icon (it's in upper left of the Panorama)=>Name the new 'volume surface' (you can name it BldgVol)=>select your base (EG) and your comparason surface (Bldg).

Create a thrid surface for the parking lot then repeat for the volume proceedure. Your Base will also be EG and comparason will be the new 'Parking Surface.'

Note: The computed volume is determined where the base and comparason 'overlap.' The area where the two surfaces don't overlap is not used in the volume calculation.For example, your calculations cannot 'compare' two surfaces in the street area because neither the building nor the parking surfaces overlap the street. No overlap means no comparison. And no comaparison means no cut-and-fill calc.

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 7
dchen56
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thank you so much for your reply. That was very helpful.

Yes, the site is in SLO. Is there a way to display the regions of cut and fill on the grading plan itself (i.e. areas of green and red) based on the volume surfaces? 

Message 4 of 7
ChicagoLooper

Yes, you can. Continue using the cut-and-fill 'comparison surface.'

Using your drawing as an example, VOL-1 is cut-and-fill (comparison) for Parking Lot while VOL-2 is cut-and-fill for Building Pad.

To get the colors displayed for the Building Pad, you can do this:

Right-click VOL-2 in Toolspace=>Surface Properties, then......

1. On Information Tab=>Make the settings like this (see image-1).
  2. On Analysis Tab=>Make settings like this 9see image-2).

Image-1Image-1

Image-2Image-2

Note:

Your drawing didn't have the Surface Style known as Elevation Banding (2D), refer to image-1, so you'll need to add that surface style to your dwg, otherwise you won't be able to display the colors in plan view.

An easy way to get the surface style (as well as all the 'Default' civil styles):

• Right-click an existing Layout Tab
  • Click From Template
  • Change Files of Type to .dwt
  • Browse to and select the OOTB Civil template known as _Autodesk Civil 3D (Imperial or Metric, whatever is applicable)=>>Open
  • Layout1=>>OK
  • Once the Styles have been added, you may delete Layout1. The Styles will remain even thoughLayout1 has been deleted.
Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 7
dchen56

You are amazing @ChicagoLooper ! That fixed everything.

The only thing is, we have to print out our drawings in monochromatic/black and white format. Is there a way to change the "color scheme" (green and red areas) to hatching? My thought process is to have a different hatch patterns for cut and fill and show a legend on the grading plan indicating these patterns.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
ChicagoLooper

I don't think it possible using this procedure. You might try using grays as shown in image-1.

Image-1Image-1

If you need to print in black-and-white I suggest dumping Monochrome and use Grayscale instead. See image-2.

Image-2Image-2

Technically, it's not B&W but I doubt anyone will ever call-you-out if you decide to use it.

The Grayscale pen assignment will use black for very dark colors (e.g. black or dark navy blue, etc.) and light gray for pale colors (e.g. yellow, beige). White will remain as white or no color. The other colors, the in-between colors that are neither dark nor light, will plot various shades of gray depending on color intensity. Still using your original drawing as an example, the green and red will look like this. See image-3.

Image-3Image-3

Chicagolooper
Message 7 of 7
dchen56

@ChicagoLooper 

Awesome, thank you so much for your help! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report