Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you render colored 2D drawings? Impressions alternative

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
344 Views, 5 Replies

How do you render colored 2D drawings? Impressions alternative

Hello all, 

I've been tasked with coming up with a solution for doing our colored sales plats. From my understanding, Impressions hasn't been supported by Autodesk in many years, and it doesn't seem like they will have an update or an alternative program that will be supported any time soon. I've been trying to use Illustrator/Photoshop, but I haven't gotten any results that I'm 100% satisfied with. Not to mention, if the plans update, and I have to make any changes, Illustrator/Photoshop are not exactly friendly to the revision process. I was just wondering what methods/programs that the community are using to do color rendering on their site plans. While I would enjoy doing some hand-drawn stuff, that is not an option as I am constrained by time on these and there are usually 300-500 lots that need colored. I'm expected to only spend about 6-8 hours on these for the client. Thanks! 

Anchor Pointe Color Sales Plat.jpg

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JRitner
in reply to: Anonymous

If the attached image was created using gradient hatches in C3D and it represents what you want in a finished product, I'd plot to PDF and punch out early.

Of course, if it WASN'T created in C3D with gradient hatches, then I'd create it in C3D with gradient hatches first, THEN I'd print to PDF & punch out early.

Joel Ritner
C3D Certified Professional
BIM/Systems Manager
Najarian Associates, NJ
Message 3 of 6
tcorey

Through Parcel Styles, you can use Hatch Patterns to fill Parcels. That doesn't make them "artistic".

To add a little flair, instead of through Parcel Style, use the HATCH command. Rather than Solids or Pre-defined hatch patterns, set Hatch Type to Gradient. Play with the controls and maybe you can make that work for you. In reaching the end product, I think this will be the fastest method, if not the prettiest.  😉

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JRitner

I wish, but this colored plat was created with Impressions quite some time ago. I've tried messing with the gradient hatches a bit on C3D, but I wasn't satisfied with the look because you can't really control the radius of the circular gradient. The client is really wanting something with an artistic look, they really enjoyed how the example looks because it gives it that artsy, watercolored look and adds some depth. 

Message 5 of 6
JRitner

Maybe you can get away with doing a solid hatch for the overall areas beneath gradient hatches with some transparency for the individual lots? Never tried it, but...

Joel Ritner
C3D Certified Professional
BIM/Systems Manager
Najarian Associates, NJ
Message 6 of 6
ChrisRS

You can use hatches in the background, behind the parcels, and parcel styles using Observe fill Distance.

The background can use gradients. 

This is not as artistic, but may be good enough. (It is possible, that "good enough" would still require a little touchup using 3rd party software.

If you give this try, I'd like to see what you come up with.

2020-08-13 13_04_06-Parcel Style - Property.png

2020-08-13 13_05_23-Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018 - [Drawing2.dwg].png

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report