Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I smooth contour lines in civil 3d

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
giscivil92
348 Views, 5 Replies

How can I smooth contour lines in civil 3d

Hello everyone

How can I smooth contour lines in civil 3d!? however, I used a smooth option to do that but I haven't achieved a good result yet!

by the way, I often use drone data so that's why be produced point clouds!

Thanks

giscivil92_0-1716545262443.png

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
autoMick
in reply to: giscivil92

You can smooth the contours - which is a setting when you edit the surface style - look under the contours tab.

However no amount of smoothing is going to fix that mess.

You would be much better off simplifying (thinning) the point cloud beforehand (e.g. using cloudcompare), or if just using Civil3d, you could sample your existing surface with grid of points (look under create points, then under the surface submenu). You could then generate a thinner pointcloud which could be used to generate another, simpler, surface.

You should also consider whether the drone data you are acquiring is actually accurate. Rubbish in = rubbish out.

Hope this helps

Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

That looks like it was created from DEM or GIS shp and the data points are manyy.

try simplify surface tool

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
giscivil92
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yes you’re right, currently the surface created from some points, actually I think one of causes is the points located in along line and they’re linear …. and at this condition editing triangular take long time and boring. Is there other way to solve this problem or at least making better automatically !? Thanks for your pay attention .

Message 5 of 6
neilyj666

Simplify surface > Point removal > 80% and choose acceptable elevation tolerance - these surfaces are typical of the type captured by drones; hundreds of data points when, in a conventional survey, 4 shots at the corners and one in the middle would have nailed it...😉

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 6
lim.wendy

Hi Giorgi,

Thank you for submitting your question in our discussion forums. Have you had a chance to look over the suggestions provided by our experts? 

Please let us know if you require further assistance. 

If the suggestions helped you, please hit the "Accept Solution" button, as it helps make the solution easier to find for others who might have the same issue. Knowing which topics are solved or not can also help our many users find the questions that still need to be answered. It’s also a great way to say thank you and give recognition to whoever helped you.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report