Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal and Vertical Transition for Custom Cable Subassembly

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rgckaliakel
903 Views, 4 Replies

Horizontal and Vertical Transition for Custom Cable Subassembly

Hello All,

I'm trying to model underground electric cables using custom subassemblies. I've created two subassemblies

(See Assemblies.png), one for direct buried cables and the other for a concrete ductbank for the cables to run through when they pass under roads.

The way I do it is by creating separate feature lines for the direct buried cables and ductbank then building corridors from them (a single feature line with different corridor regions is also an option).  This creates corridors with the cables running straight into the ductbank which is not what I want. (See Corridor 1.png)

As the direct buried cables approach the ductbank by say 5 meters, they should transition from 1 row to 2 rows then pass through duct bank column by column starting with the far left column. (See Corridor 2.png)

The opposite should also happen when the cables leave the ductbank.

Does anybody have any idea on how to do this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
udo.huebner
in reply to: rgckaliakel

@rgckaliakel 

This is indeed in an interesting approach to use Corridor Objects for cable packages.
Instead of using one Subassembly containing multiple cables, it would be easier to create a Subassembly with a single cable profile and then create an Assembly with 8 Assembly offsets for every cable. The cables can then be guided with featurelines through the widened concrete ductbank.

If you could share your current custom subassemblies, I would try to prepare a sample corridor that demonstrates the above idea.

Udo

Message 3 of 5
rgckaliakel
in reply to: udo.huebner

I have never tried assembly offsets before. It would be really helpful if you could prepare a sample corridor.

I have attached my custom subassemblies.

Message 4 of 5
udo.huebner
in reply to: rgckaliakel

Hello Ali, excuse my delayed reply.

thanks for posting your subassemblies. I modified (simplified) your custom Subassemblies a little bit.

Attached you find a sample drawing that shows a Corridor object with 3 different Assemblies.

a) Assembly - with 3 parallel cables (subassemblies)

b) Assembly 3 cables (subassemblies) with base and 2 additional assembly offsets

c) Assembly ElectricalDuctBank

2. Feature lines (cableaxis) center, left and right. Assembly b) will follow Featurelines

3. and a corridor object using these 3 Assemblies in 3 different regions

But its only one Idea, how cables (subassemblies) inside Corridor Objects can follow featurelines through electrical duct bank. More ideas are welcome.

Message 5 of 5
rgckaliakel
in reply to: udo.huebner

It seems a bit cumbersome having to do a separate feature line for each cable but it DOES work. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report