Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Hitting Escape causes me to tab out of Civil3D

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sebastian.schneider8LKXT
335 Views, 4 Replies

HELP! Hitting Escape causes me to tab out of Civil3D

Hi

I have an extremely annoying Issue in Civil3D: Whenever I hit Escape the Window of Civil loses Focus. The Window doesn't close or anything, it's like I just clicked on the Desktop.

I cannot deselect or cancel anything without this happening. It's hard to describe, but it creates awkward problems with selection: The cursor jumps from where it was, when I hit Escape, to where I click to re-focus the Window. I have to click somewhere on the Civil Window once, so the Program is in focus again. I guess everyone knows that ^^'.  Sometimes it doesn't seem to work, but when I click again something gets selected. Then I have to press Escape again to deselect and the Game starts again. 

I tried updating my Visual Drivers, Reinstalling all the AutoDesk Software, playing around with the Graphics Settings, and running it in Fullscreen, but none of these helped.

It's slowing me down and making work painful, please help.

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You may have a keyboard short set to the Escape key.

Type CUI and hit enter to get the Customize User Interface dialogue to open.

In the top left pane of the Customize User Interface dialogue, expand the top item if it is not already.

Expand the Keyboard Shortcuts item.

Expand the Shortcut Keys item (if it can be)

Go through each item under Shortcut Keys and see which Key(s) is assigned to activate that keyboard shortcut.

- do this by clicking on each item and looking in the bottom right pane of the Customize User Interface dialogue, look for the Key(s) value

If there is a shortcut key that uses ESCAPE as the key then this is your culprit. 

If you do find one, do you manage your cad setup or do you have someone else that looks after it?

If you manage the cad setup, you can delete this shortcut key by right clicking on it in the top left pane and select remove.

If someone else manages your cad setup, I would speak to them about it first.

Also check through the Temporary Override keys if that item is expandable.

If you do not find anything there, it may be caused by an add on.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2023
Message 3 of 5

The version you are using would be helpful.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 5

Have you tried a different set of keyboard/mouse?

Message 5 of 5

Thanks a lot! This was the Problem! An extra Button on my old Mouse was still registered in the Options 😮

Many, many Thanks! Now I don't have to go mad 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report