Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Gradings frustrations yet again - why are they so buggy??

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
neilyj666
411 Views, 6 Replies

Gradings frustrations yet again - why are they so buggy??

Yet again gradings are proving to be a major time thief in my workflow - Right side has been "grading" for several minutes and Civil is "Not responding"...!!!!

I really wish Autodesk would just get these objects sorted out once and for all - they are useful when they work (if they are very simple) but they seem to cause more problems than they solve in my workflow...!!!!

I think it's time for one of my most used key combos when using Civil - the Alt+Ctrl+Del option....!!!!

2021-03-30 10_40_07-.jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Get in line, they have to fix pressure networks first šŸ™‚

Message 3 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Siteless FL as corridor baseline so far the most stable I have found 

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous has to be gradings on the basis they have been in the product for longer and are still as buggy...šŸ˜‰

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Neilw_05

I only use C3D to grade simple residential and commercial site plans. Anything involving road networks and large sites I go to another product. The grading tools have been almost useless since the beginning. I am not a fan of corridors for grading either. They are horrible for dealing with the non-linear complexities of grading scenarios.

The project I am working on for the past week has hanged maybe 20 times, causing me to lose my work (the changes often are not saved in Recovery Manager). It happens when I change the annotation scale, invoke the block editor and maybe a couple of other functions.

Don't get me started on the miserable performance of this product either. Some days I honestly want to quit my job because of this software.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw_05 wrote:

I only use C3D to grade simple residential and commercial site plans. Anything involving road networks and large sites I go to another product. The grading tools have been almost useless since the beginning. I am not a fan of corridors for grading either. They are horrible for dealing with the complexities of grading scenarios.

Don't get me started on the miserable performance of this product either. Some days I honestly want to quit my job because of this software.

I feel your pain with this but whilst I've not come close to quitting I have been tempted to throw the PC out of the window in frustration at the frequent dire performance from Civil.

On the plus side there is all the new bugs introduced in 2022 to look forward to and seeing what has been broken that is currently working...!!!. I wish Autodesk would shift focus from the Cloud stuff to the basic bread and butter  engineering stuff that we need to do day to day...!!! 

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza

It is interesting that some users have success with gradings and never report  and issue ( not me ) , but  I have had conversations with users that exclusively use them  - in their production drawings., and don't seem to have any problems. I'm sure  Size must be a factor but what is large to some may be ordinary to others.

Corridor grading? Works fine for me, maybe not others, but it is definitely stable provided you do not use sites. I don't get wrapped up with necessarily having a shape for every element in a corridor grading; a feature line base line with a MP works well for me for pretty much anything. Is everything "Dynamic" maybe not but IMHO dynamic is nice but sometime maybe a little overrated. I have to pay attention to the design so even if its Dynamic I still need to look at it a review it.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā