Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Groups Not Creating One Surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
brian.t.fair
450 Views, 9 Replies

Grading Groups Not Creating One Surface

I have several grading groups set up for different buildings. I created a single surface where I have added all these grading group surfaces to. The grading groups are staying within their respective boundaries like they are still individuals. I have checked the display settings and the single surface is to show contours, boundary, and triangles. Surface properites are to show the surface style and is not on 'no display.' What could be going wrong here? 

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

So you have each grading group surface set to no display. Each grading group surface is pasted into an overall surface. When you select any part of the overall surface, it's not selecting all the surfaces?

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 3 of 10
brian.t.fair
in reply to: brian.t.fair

It will recognize the single surface I created with all the grading groups. 

Message 4 of 10
brian.t.fair

So each building I have as a grading group but when pasted into a single surface it will look exactly the same as if they were all individual. I tried to paste the closest ones together into one surface and same results. 

Message 5 of 10
user181

If you have boundaries in each individual surface they will keep those boundaries when pasted into a surface. If you want them to interact with each other you would need to remove the boundaries from the individual ones or create the overall with the grading objects from each one instead of pasting the surfaces. 

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
brian.t.fair
in reply to: user181

None of my grading group surfaces have boundaries added to them. Appreciate the help btw.
Message 7 of 10
jroot

Gradings get placed in Sites I believe. You could try moving all the Gradings to the same site, or to different sites if they are all in one already.

Message 8 of 10
brian.t.fair
in reply to: jroot

I have them all in one site already. I'm starting to believe that I have a corrupt file somewhere. I have tried to delete the overall site surface and create a new one but no luck. I have previously used grading groups with success on this project but I started over with this one and started adding breaklines to the grading group surface. Maybe I overwhelmed it and should leave the general breaklines to be added to the overall site surface. I put a lot of work into this and finally got things they way I wanted so I was hoping there was a silver bullet setting that has to be changed. I appreciate your help trying to help me figure this out.
Message 9 of 10
v-silvestre

Hi Brian, instead of doing the Automatic Surface creation within each grading group and pasting each one to your surface, you'll have to add in the feature lines to the surface if you want them to triangulate and interact with each other.  If you can post your file we could also take a look.

Message 10 of 10
brian.t.fair
in reply to: v-silvestre

I was able to redo my model using the same technique. I did move some feature lines to just the general surface. It worked. I am guessing that it was corrupted somehow. I didn't do much different than previous and my experience before that they interacted as expected. Appreciate you getting back to me on this topic. Thank you .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report