Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Output to COGO point format

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
roskirko
1108 Views, 19 Replies

GPS Output to COGO point format

I have attached a document that explains the issue when a custom format is applied to a comma delimited text file exported from a GPS device that ignores the Full Description field.

I have  a work around solution but it is not acceptable (please read the attached document).

Geographic Information Systems
Fanshawe College
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
sboon
in reply to: roskirko

You cannot directly enter data into the Full Description field.  The field is available in the Point File Format so that you can use it for exporting data, but you cannot import to that field.

Probably the best solution here is to use Descrition Keys and the Description Format control.  You would only need to supply the tree species in your Raw Description.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 20
roskirko
in reply to: sboon

Thank you Steve:

I have used the Description Keys and Description format control successfully. However, further to what is shown in the document, I used EXPORTTOSDF to create an SDF file for import into Infraworks where different trees with tags and tooltips are created (again, successfully) BUT it would be terrific if one of the input fields simply had the information showing Confier or Deciduous so the correct type of tree is chosen for the model. A workaround has been created which accomplishes what I want; use of that Full Description field to allow for direct entry would be ideal.

I have attached an Infraworks image set.

Fanshawe College
Message 4 of 20
sboon

Using your sample points, I would probably create an import file like this one.

100,483502.2314,4762456.0224,268.4640,WS
101,483506.2524,4762476.1974,268.4160,WP
102,483498.2524,4762496.1974,268.3160,SM

My Description Key set would look like this.

Clipboard01.png

The result would be points with the Full Description you're looking for, and as a bonus the Scale Parameter could be used to size them.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 20
roskirko

Thanks Steve:

What you suggest works. The downside is that there would be a need for a two letter Code for each species. Consider this list:

Deciduous

Black Maple

American Basswood

Common Hackberry

English Oak

Black Locust

Ironwood

Sugar Maple

Peachleaf Willow

etc.

There are hundreds of deciduous species and hundreds of confers. The method you had suggested would need a special two letter code for each species and then, on top of that, the Format setting in the Description Keys would then all have to be created for each species thus creating a huge set of Description Keys.

The "industry" mapping out these trees always records the type of tree as either Deciduous or Conifer and then creates attributes for each of these types to reflect the species name. This is easily created as a mapping format on the GPS unit used (using Magnet Field 3.0 software from Topcon). Doing what I did by editing the output file to blend the 5th and 6th columns together (i.e. Type with Species) cures the problem BUT it would be nice if C3D allowed the use of the Full Description available when setting up the Format in the Point input steps to be carried through to the Full Description element of the Description Keys

Fanshawe College
Message 6 of 20
jjfuller

The full description is reserved by C3D to be populated by the description key file.  The answer is to create a user defined property class for the sixth column.  Create it as a string and add that user defined property class to the point file format and the label style.  That should get it done.

Jon Fuller

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium - Latest Version
Civil 3D - Latest Version
Message 7 of 20
sboon

If your field equipment is producing consistent descriptions then you could turn off the Match on Description Parameters option.

100,483502.2314,4762456.0224,268.4640,Conifer, White spruce | Picea glauca

101,483506.2524,4762476.1974,268.4160,Conifer, White pine | Pinus strobus

102,483498.2524,4762496.1974,268.3160,Decid, Sugar maple | Acer sacharrum 

If you ignore the fifth column then you can set it up so that your raw description for the first row would be "White spruce | Picea glauca"  The Description key would recognize that and apply the style and layer etc.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 20
roskirko

That works too Steve, but what I see is that the species is missed in the SDF file which is what I would rely upon to pick the right kind of tree in the Library of Trees in Infraworks (AIW) based on type (Conifer / Deciduous). Getting C3D to behave is not the real issue; it getting the tree type (Conifer / Deciduous) into the SDF file for ease of use in Infraworks.

Fanshawe College
Message 9 of 20
roskirko
in reply to: jjfuller

Thanks Jon:

I created the property class as a string (an image is attached - can you comment on whether or not it looks correct to you)?

Then I went to create a new point file format (see the attached iamge for that) and that is where I am at a loss - there is no property class available in the format creation tool.

Can you provide some further guidance? Thanks

Fanshawe College
Message 10 of 20
sboon

It looks like you've created two user defined properties, they're listed near the bottom of the dropdown on the lower right of your screenshot.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 20
jjfuller

You're on the right track. You only want one user defined class - call it "species" or something. Then you will select it from the drop down as shown in your picture. After adding it to the point file format it will read that user defined class for whichever column you set it as. Your label styles will also contain that user defined property class as an option for labeling, so those will need updated to contain the "species"
Jon Fuller

Message 12 of 20
roskirko

I noticed that just after I sent the last message.

I have attached what it looks like now with an image of the point Import page and details of the points.

How do I get to the new Species class for export to SDF (i.e. Species is not part of the body of information for the points)?

Fanshawe College
Message 13 of 20
jjfuller

It should be in there if you scroll all the way over to the right. You have to get past all of the XML properties.
Jon Fuller

Message 14 of 20
roskirko

I noticed the Species field tucked way over to the right just as your message came in. I am going to run EXPORTTOSDF to see what I get out and report back.

Thanks again.

Fanshawe College
Message 15 of 20
roskirko

EXPORTTOSDF missed the Species field. I noticed the old MAPEXPORT to SDF format allows one to choose the correct CLASSNAME (see the attached iamge); but of course, the trees are in COGO format, not regular ACAD points with attributes.

Fanshawe College
Message 16 of 20
jjfuller

I'm not sure why it would be missing it.  It looks like they want you to export it as a shape file, or sdf and then convert it to a shape file.  I have our field data collectors set up to export shape files for Map based operations so I don't have a lot of experience with this part of the process - have only played with it a little.  Hopeully this helps a little.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

Jon Fuller

Message 17 of 20
jjfuller

Did you get any further on this?
Jon Fuller

Message 18 of 20
roskirko

No further yet. I am able to create great models in Infraworks without much more effort.

I have exported to ESRI shape format as well using a couple of different techniques but have not had the time to test these out yet. I will keep you informed.

Thanks.

Fanshawe College
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

My firm uses a single code for tree, you could setup two, one for deciduous and one for conifers.  The descrpition key we have is setup to scale the block based on the trunk size. An example for a 15" Oak tree would be T 15 Oak.

T CODE.JPG

You can easily setup two codes and just use the comment portion of the point collected to list species.  You may run into an issue with comment length in certain data collectors, or even in C3D, but even if the shot is abbreviated, the cad operator can easily isolate the points and edit them after the fact to show full species information.

Message 20 of 20
roskirko
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you John:

What you sugggest is actually what has been used successfully. The only reason I wanted to isolate conifer from deciduous was to speed up the data import process into infraworks with a Java Script that would use one 3D model for conifers and another 3D model for deciduous trees. Java script in Infraworks does not seem to fully utilize if then else structures for some reason. I tried case structures too. The problem seems to lie with the substring function which works under some circumstances but not for what I wanted to do. In the end, all I do is run two imports; one just for conifers and the other for decicuous trees. The results are excellent.

I have a full databse of about a thousand trees in our work area and I will now go ahead to populate the Infraworks model with these trees (all collected by GPS). When I get that done, I can Screencast the results.

Fanshawe College

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report