Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting a read only dialog box?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gbryant
266 Views, 3 Replies

getting a read only dialog box?

Ok I have a dwg that allows multiple people to edit it at one time, which could cause major issues of over righting one's work.

I don't get a read only dialog box when I open, so I think that no one is in it, but what happens is that is gives the one last to open it the live feed and the one that was in it because a read-only.

this seems to be the only drawing that does this how can I fix it to where it does not kick the first person to open this file for the day out of it with no warnings?

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
brian.strandberg
in reply to: gbryant

There are several different read only messages that can come up - not sure which you are getting.  The most common one is described here: "DWG is currently in use or is read-only" when opening a file in AutoCAD products (autodesk.com)

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Favorite Posts: Use Dynamo For Surface Analysis: https://youtu.be/eJNdX6guMP8
Fast Track your site grading with the new Corridor Workflow: https://youtu.be/Gg7u9-LgIL0
Message 3 of 4
lim.wendy
in reply to: gbryant

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reaching out to the forum. Have you had a chance to try the suggestions from the article Brian shared? It might shed some light on the issue you're facing. 

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

If the suggestions helped you, please hit the "Accept Solution" button, as it helps make the solution easier to find for others who might have the same issue. Knowing which topics are solved or not can also help our many users find the questions that still need to be answered. It’s also a great way to say thank you and give recognition to whoever helped you. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 4 of 4
gbryant
in reply to: brian.strandberg

Brian, sorry for late response. what you had stated is what i normally expect to get but for some reason i do not get a message at all. and what it does it will let me into a dwg that is currently open on a different computer (Same Network) and make them a read only and me the active. The issue with this is if i save then we are cross eliminating possible updates or changes to that dwg within the times that we are both doing something not knowing that it has kicked the primary out to a read-only and then requires her to do a save as over the original file that i may or may not have made a change to while i was in it. I hope this makes a little more sense of what is going on. I did check the toggle in the options but changing that did not do anything regarding what is going on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report