Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a 36x24 sheet to an 11x17 to scale without multiple layouts...

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
42665 Views, 24 Replies

Getting a 36x24 sheet to an 11x17 to scale without multiple layouts...

Hello fellow Cad users,

I usually use the forum for a last resort and try to figure it out on my own but I have an issue that I can't find online where there was a clear answer.  I have a project manager/ PE that was a microstation, and I have 5 Months of civil 3d 2014 use under my belt, I know alot of the basics and can work my way around.  Here is the issue... He likes to have full size 24x36 drawings to mark up and use them for his viewing (to scale) but we want to send out 11x17 drawings to scale.  I have not found a quick way to do this.  I thought you had to make a separate layout tab and have an 11x17 and re-scale it and all but he thought there was a way to have the same 24x36 but just made into an 11x17.... is this possible?  There are profiles involved so I'd prob have to have two drawings so the scale in  the profile would be correct too.  Please help!

Thanks in advance!

-Jon

autocad Civil 3d 2014

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadguru42

Ok new issue. I have set everything up for 22x34. when im done with my drawing i plot to (dwg to pdf.pc3) everything looks great when i open it in adobe. When i got to plot a full size on our plotter is cuts some off unless is print to fit at 94% which throws off the scale. Same thing happens if i print to 11x17. I reduce the scale by 50% and it cuts off some of my drawing and says must be 48% to fit on the paper. If i print direct from civil everything seems to look fine... an adobe pdf issue or what??
Message 22 of 25
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Drawings typically have two borders: a drawing border (thick line denoting the outside of the drawing area) and a trim border (thin line or hash marks denoting the edge of the paper).  When you plot a margin is added, as it is assumed that you only have the drawing border and the margin is used to pad out the drawing to the paper size.  If you have both a trim border and the PDF driver is adding a margin (which is the default) then that margin is being added outside the trim border, effectively making the drawing oversized and needing to be shrunk to fit on the indicated paper size.

Short version: either don't use a trim border and use the margin setting in the driver, or use a trim border and set the margins to 0.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 23 of 25
mr.anthony.priest

First things first,

you need to understand how numbers work in order to properly develop the methodologies needed to make this happen.  this is an antiquated methodology that the romans used to build.  proportions, relationships are all relative.  use autocad as a tool that highlight your talents.  Are you talented?  

than kyou for reading

Tony

Message 24 of 25
Neilw_05
in reply to: dgorsman

I have always disliked trim borders. The reason being you can't control the margins with a trim border when plotting to different sheet sizes. For example we have plot setups for full sized 24x36 and reduced 11x17. We can adjust the margins parametrically in the page setups and will reduce the margins on the smaller sheets. Trim borders just get in the way.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 25 of 25
Anonymous

Start with a 22x34 sheet and there is no question. Why the ANSI D size sheet is not commonplace is beyond comprehension. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report