Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geotechnical Module

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1080 Views, 12 Replies

Geotechnical Module

Hey all

I'm starting to use the geotechnical module; I've 4 x 2m deep boreholes trying to add in a csv format (mainly as I've never heard of AGS). It took me a while to get my csv files correct in the file check in france they use ; not ,

the create submission is fine

but went I click next on Location selection I get ...screen capturescreen capture

Le cast spécifié n'est pas valide = The specified cast is not valid

I use an english version of C3D in France so the french isn't a surprise (besides the spelling mistake).

I get the same thing with the sample data from https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Geote...

I am currently have a student license if that makes a differnce, I have restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled the module, double checked all my csv files, searched the forum so I'm now out of ideas.

Can anyone help?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Please test again using the sample data, using the files:

Location Details.csv

Field Geological Descriptions.csv

Orientation and Inclination.csv

All other files should be ignored.

If you still get the problem, it will most probably be due to local language settings are your machine. My guess is that you are using commas instead of points.

If this is the case, you have two choices, edit the CSV file to match your local settings, or set the PC to use English.

Regards

Gary

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Good afternoon Gary

I re-tried as suggested but got the same results with both the example data and my data. 

I have attached some screen shots when using the example data, 2.png show the files as valid, it took me a while to format my data to show as valid, I believe that was due to the csv points/ comm/ semi-colon issue. 4.png I think is something else but i don't know what...

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

When I first installed the Geotechnical module I kept getting the same error, I was using AGS files. But the same files worked fine on another staff members PC.

I even got IT department on the job and they too were unable to fix it after quite some time messing about. Uninstalling and reinstalling the module had no effect. Ended up having to completely uninstall all modules and Civil 3D and then reinstall. Worked fine after that though, very strange...

Regards,

Peter

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Hmmm... I may have a long weekend

Thanks Peter

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

If you are going for a full re-installation, just remember to uninstall the modules first, before uninstalling C3D. I remember some time back I uninstalled C3D2017 but then had errors when uninstalling the modules for it afterwards.

Regards,

Peter

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Peter Uninstalled the module, then the rest, reinstalled and it hasn't changed, I still get the error message so I still can't import geo data. Do you think it could be to do with my student license? besides that I am out of ideas Thanks for your time & help Ed
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Very sorry to hear that. That process did work fine for me.

I don't think it should have anything to do with your student subscription but I may be wrong.

I think you need to bring some of the Autodesk experts into this discussion to see if they can help.

Maybe @Karsten.Saenger could help with this. He has been of great help to me in the past.

Regards,

Peter

Message 9 of 13
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous ,

can you share the files you are trying to load into the Geotechnical Module for testing on my system?

I will send you an invite to a OneDrive folder in a separate email.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Morning Karstan

As requested the files are attached, this is my 1st go so I've kept the amount of data small. I understand that the Orientation and Inclination is optional so I made the file for completeness but it is intentionally blank.

Thanks

Ed

Message 11 of 13
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous ,

I was able to import your data without any error see screenshot below:

2019-04-08_1133.png

Can you test if this issue is possible a point/comma problem?

1. Go to your Windows Regional Settings and check if the Decimal Separator is set to "." (point)
  2. If not, set it to "point" and use the "comma" for the grouping similar to the screenshot in this article: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Geotechnical-Module-When-trying-to-import-borehole-data-the-module-shows-error-messages-and-no-data-is-imported
  3. Restart you computer and import the CSV data into the Geotechnical Module again

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Karstan, it's worked thank you so much, I was really worried that there was major problem.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use the rest of the module's functions ...

Message 13 of 13
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous ,

good to hear that this has been solved.

I can recommend the following webinar as a starting point:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/watch-v-N9lAWj33RTs.html

There is also mention of tutorials from Keynetix in the video.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report