Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation not working for GB coordinates

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
703 Views, 4 Replies

Geolocation not working for GB coordinates

I have not needed to use the Geolocation feature for a while. But this morning I was asked to put a background image into a drawing for reference. I went to settings to check the coordinate system was set correctly and to my surprise I noticed that the coordinate system was identified as "Deprecated, use OSGB1936.BritishNatGrid". I therefore proceeded to set the coordinates to "OSGB1936.BritishNatGrid". But the geolocation tab is now not showing up which makes me think that it is not identifying the coordinate system. I tried a number of other GB coordinates and most of them did not work, and the ones that did were not the correct ones as they put my site in the sea or a different country. Funny thing is the coordinate system that seems the closest is the "Deprecated, use OSGB1936.BritishNatGrid", but even this is off by around 60 to 70 metres. So I kept playing with different systems and then suddenly the same "Deprecated, use OSGB1936.BritishNatGrid" is almost bang on. Confused as anything!!

Does anyone know which coordinate system I should be using for Great Britain? Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards,

Peter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wilsonm2000
in reply to: Anonymous

You should be using "Deprecated, use OSGB1936.BritishNatGrid".  This is set by default if you use the UKIE Template.  There is a brief description in the UKIE Tool Pallete.

Coord.PNG

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: wilsonm2000

Ok, that's fair enough, everything is working right now anyway.

Do you have any idea why that coordinate system was originally off by 60 to 70 metres, but then bang on after messing around with a few other coordinate systems and then coming back to it? That I think confused me more than anything.

Regards,

Peter

Message 4 of 5
wilsonm2000
in reply to: Anonymous

No idea why it would have done that.  I have always started my drawings in 2019 with this coordinate system, and it's always worked as expected.

Has your company got a custom C3D Template that you use?  If so, I'd recommend having the coordinate system as default in the Template, just like the UKIE template in the country kit has.  This means everyone starts with the correct coordinate system.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: wilsonm2000

That is the strange thing. The drawing hadn't been touched in a few months, but it was originally set up using the UKIE template and did have the correct coordinate system that you outlined. Must just be one of those things. Typical of my week so far.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report