Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Segment Label

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sca24580
2676 Views, 7 Replies

General Segment Label

I'm using General Segment Labels to label the elevations of contour polylines. The frustrating part of these labels is that they will move along the polyline if the polyline is stretched, trimmed, or extended. Is there a way to pin the label? The label properties show a place for pinning, but I can't find a way to toggle this function (see attached screenshot). Thanks!

~Steve

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rl_jackson
in reply to: sca24580

If your contour lines have elevation. Just use the contour labels. They should work in single mode. I've presonal never had much luck with pinning.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
user181

Set the anchor point to Label Location. Make sure you are changing it on the proper component and not the Table Tag

linelabel.PNG

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
MMcCall402
in reply to: user181

I think its just the nature of the general segment label beast.

The label is tagged to a certain segment number of the polyline when it is placed. If you add segments to the end of the line/curve all if fine. If you add to the beginning, they shift to get back to the same segment number they were on.

If it is anchored to the middle it will move to the middle as the line/curve gets longer or shorter. If it is anchored to 'label location' it will move proportionately. 

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 5 of 8
sca24580
in reply to: MMcCall402

That's a pretty good explanation. I wonder if there is a better way to label the elevation of a polyline...

Message 6 of 8
rl_jackson

Use a surface label. It will lable the pline just as it would a true c3d surface. That's where I was getting at in my prior post

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
sca24580
in reply to: rl_jackson

I must be missing something. When I try that it asks that I "Select a surface" first. I can't select the polyline using that command.

Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Use an object field.

May I ask why you don't turn you poly lines with elevation into a surface?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Rail Community