Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Overall Length "Start" & "End"

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jtinawin
599 Views, 5 Replies

General Overall Length "Start" & "End"

Hello guys,

Please see attached. Am I doing something wrong or is what I want this label to do not going to do it? I'm dimensioning a "General Overall Length" and its working out fine, giving me the right dimension (see red arrows). But the arrows (block: "LEFT END") that I'm including in the label is using the lot corner (parcel segment intersection) as "Start" & "End". I hope I'm making sense.

I know I could simply draw an arc and label that instead of my parcel arc. But I'm hoping to avoid a "workaround" if possible.

Yes I originally drew all these lines and arcs as continuous lines & arc (which then I converted to parcel lines & arcs) as I've learned from the past that labeling an "overall" wont work if I draw these as segments to begin with. But now I want to include start and end markers (block: "LEFT END" & "RIGHT END" - not shown) in my labels instead of manually putting it in.

Also, yes, I am using general arc labels as parcel arc labels doesnt have an overall. Or does it? Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks all!

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: jtinawin

I believe your issue here may be that you are not using a PARCEL Curve Label Style, If you do that you'll have the option to use spanning labels as shown. Note: which both look the same the parcel label give the Span outside segments option that the regular curve label does not. HTHparcel.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jtinawin
in reply to: rl_jackson

This solved half of my issue. Which led me to solving the rest of my problems! 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
rl_jackson

Parcels are a little tricky. I use a combination of Parcel & Regular curve labels this allows the spanning for lines an curves which does a great job for most things but I still need to shift to regular curve labels and labeling lines by points on occasion. Wishing we could lable a curve by points like the LDD days. It is what it is. 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
jtinawin
in reply to: rl_jackson

Please see attached.

As you can see, I've managed to create a "parcel line label" that has a block at each end to indicate the limits of the overall dimension as I've instructed the label to "span outside segment" by using a "direction arrow" that also "span outside segment" and attaching the blocks at each end to this "direction arrow" using start and end as attachment points.

BUT sometimes, it wont work right. The "direction arrow" would sometimes not "span outside segment". I've relabeled using same style. I've "flipped" and "reversed" the labels which gave no successful result. As you can see, the dimension would always obey "span outside segment" but the "direction arrow" wouldnt always obey it. Is this a bug??

PS the two horizontal and two vertical lines were all continuous lines(L) prior to converting them to parcel segments.

Message 6 of 6
rl_jackson

Can you post a file, I need to see how everything is set, my first thought is you have the arrow start to end and just need direction and a size for the block, which is most likely the issue here.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report