Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding an address on the Map

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
chreese22
1648 Views, 6 Replies

Finding an address on the Map

I have the online maps loaded and the coordinate system set. My question is if i want to find a certain address on the map, is there a place where i can type that in? Instead of zooming in and searching for a street. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
KirkWM
in reply to: chreese22

If you are doing just a few, one method is to download the trial of  SERI Signs Civil 3D add-in from the Autodesk App Store, and there is a tool that allows you to click in model space then it will open up google street maps or street view of where you clicked, then in Google Maps you can you can click on the map and it will give you an address.

KirkWM_0-1620766814681.png

If you are hoping to do this for a lot of properties, I'd hunt for a GIS Parcel layer and use Map 3D to query in the addresses.

Hope this helps! 

Message 3 of 7
Pointdump

Hi Chris,
Jerry Bartels shows how to >>>Use "GeographicLocation" in Civil 3D to navigate your model using property addresses<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 7
chreese22
in reply to: Pointdump

Very nice, thank you 

Message 5 of 7
ChicagoLooper

You may use Google Earth Pro.

1. While in GE Pro, insert a pushpin at your target location.
  2. While still in GE Pro, go to Places panel on left, right-click the new pushpin and save it in your project folder in either KML or KMZ format.
  3. In Civil3D, assign your coordinate system then use MAPIMPORT command to import the KML/KMZ pushpin.
  4. The only LAYER you are interested in is the Placemark layer, all other layers are inconsequential so you may simply ignore them.
  5. Use PTYPE to make the point style easily visible. To verify, turn on Bing aerial imagery and zoom-in to your point.

Step-1Step-1

Step-2Step-2

Step-3Step-3

Step-4Step-4

Step-5Step-5

Notes:

1. You may also email the kml/kmz as an attachment. The email recipient may (a) open the kml/kmz using Google Earth Pro or (b) use MapImport command in either Civil3D or Map3D to import the pushpin.
  2. If you are adept at creating an address list in a spreadsheet, you may organize multiple addresses in neatly arranged rows and columns. Save the spreadsheet in csv format then using GE Pro, go to File=>Import=>Browse to your csv=>Open. GE Pro will put placemarkers at your address locations. You may save the placemarkers to kml/kmz format then use MapImport command to bring them to your drawing. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
jeff_rivers
in reply to: Pointdump

Holy cow, Dave- this is so cool.  I've had need for an easy way to do this for a long time.  Thanks for posting this. 

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 7 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jeff_rivers

As soon as I started to watch I knew a GE kml/kmz was a better solution. Infraworks can also do this easier than the acad method. In the model builder you can type in any lat/lon, street address or even a named place and it will get you there. Create the model and connect to the model in C3D. You also get topo and centerlines of streets and watercourse with this method.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report