Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find the distance between a point and a surface

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
OceanaPolynom
5454 Views, 26 Replies

Find the distance between a point and a surface

Hello

We surveyed a vertical wall.  I created a surface from the measured points.  The wall has a rough unfinished surface.  I need to find the distance between the surface and a design line that is roughly parallel to the wall.  I created points along the design line and now need to find the distance from the points to the surface.

Thank you

John

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
OceanaPolynom
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hello

I don't need to calculate volumes.  I have to show the distances between the existing wall and it's final location.  The distances will be used to erect the forms to pour the concrete in its final location.

Thank you

John

Message 22 of 27
OceanaPolynom
in reply to: hippe013

Hello

I don't need to calculate volumes.  I have to show the distances between the existing wall and it's final location.  The distances will be used to erect the forms to pour the concrete in its final location.  I understood what you did,  is there any way to extract the distances along the original red line?  Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

John

Message 23 of 27
ChrisRS
in reply to: OceanaPolynom

Create a Surface Spot Elevations label wherever you want to know the distance.

At any point on a volume surface, the "elevation" is the difference between the Comparison surface (face of new concrete) and the Base surface (existing wall).

A negative (-) volume surface elevation means Cut/chip away; *

A positive (+) volume surface elevation means Fill/add new concrete; *

A zero (0) volume surface elevation means the existing wall is at the final location, no cut or fill. *

*  Signs are reversed if you have the Comparison and Base surfaces defined wrong.

1. You can stylize the volume surface to show cut/fill contours, shade/color area of cut and fill, or both. You can use a color ramp.
  2. Spot elevations indicate cut (-) or fill (+). You can create spot elevation label styles to better indicate cut (C:0.25) and fill (F:0.25), using 2 text components and 2 expression. 
  3. The volume surface zero (0) contour indicates the boundary between cut and fill.
    • You can extract the zero (0) elevation contour and stylize the resulting polyline as you wish.
    • Using the MINIMUMDISTANCEBETWEENSURFACES command is a quick way to extract the zero (0) contour.

This is just a general thought: Do you need to chip away so the entire finished wall is smooth concrete, say 1" minimum thickness? If so, you will have all cut.    

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 24 of 27
hippe013
in reply to: OceanaPolynom

Just as @ChrisRS has suggested. Simply create spot elevations for the volume surface. The red polyline represents minimum distance between the surfaces, where the new wall face would intersect.

Capture 7.JPG

Message 25 of 27
ChrisRS
in reply to: ChrisRS

Sorry, this statement is incorrect.

@ChrisRS wrote:

This is just a general thought: Do you need to chip away so the entire finished wall is smooth concrete, say 1" minimum thickness? If so, you will have all cut.    

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 26 of 27
OceanaPolynom
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hello

Sorry for the delay, there have been some serious issues at work.   I  rotated the measured points, and the vertical design line of the wall, around the line that is perpendicular to the vertical design line of the wall.  I created a surface from the rotated points.   You can see this in the attached jpeg file.  I then drew a 3D polyline along the design line, connecting the points that I previously created along the design line.  The elevations of the points along the line were all zero.   I then used the Elevations from Surface command which resulted in the vertices of the 3D polyline getting elevations from the surface.  The dwg file is also attached.  I think that the elevations are the answer that I am looking for.  Is this correct?

Thanks

John

John

Message 27 of 27
OceanaPolynom
in reply to: hippe013

Hello

Sorry for taking so long, there were some serious problems at work.  I did what you suggested and it worked.  Someone else calculated the volume a different way and it was basically the same.  Many thanks.

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report