Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Compatability

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
504 Views, 9 Replies

File Compatability

I am using Civil 3D 2012. I configure my open and save setting to save back to version 2004. I am sending my files to a user with version 2006 and they cannot open my files. I've sent dxf version 2000 and still it does not work. The descriotion of their error message is as follows:

".may not be accessible in earlier versions",
something to that effect, and something else about saving them as CAD
objects (which I knew nothing about.)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

With C3D, no matter which version you save it to they can't open and see contours & symbols like Land Desktop.

You have to explode everything TWICE before sending to non C3D users.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

That is not correct. When you export to a standard AutoCAD version, the TIN generated contours convert to polylines. The polylines have a gazillion verticies but they are AutoCAD objects. That wasn't really the focus of my question.

Message 4 of 10
Patchy

Post it in C3D group, they can help you.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Are you just doing a "save as" and setting it to v-2004 in the drop box? If so, I always seem to here people having issues with this method. IMO the most problem free method would be the "export to ACAD" or "e-transmit" and then selecting your desired version.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

uh, this is the C3D group Smiley Surprised

concur with earlier posts - export to autocad...

Message 7 of 10
Neilw_05

There are 2 ways to save to earlier versions of Autocad. One way is to use SAVE AS and set the file format to an earler version. The other is to use the Export To Autocad tool under the File menu. The first method is a generic Autocad function which leaves all C3D objects intact and thus causes problems when the file is opened outside of the native C3D environment. If you instead use the Export to Autocad tool, all C3D objects will be exploded into entities that are recognized by the version chosen. That is the recommended method for converting C3D files. Contours will be converted to polylines with bazillions of vertices and feature lines will be converted to 3D polylines with tesselated arcs. There is no way around that.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 10
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:

I am using Civil 3D 2012. I configure my open and save setting to save back to version 2004.

I am mildly amazed that that even works at all for you.  In C3D, I would NEVER configure the open and save settings to anything other than the current version.

As others have said, the only real way to share anything back to previous versions is to use the "Export to Autocad" option.  (We've gotten very inconsistent results from eTransmit, if it even works at all.)  As such, there's no good reason to change your open and save settings to an earlier version, even if things seem to still work.

Sinc
Message 9 of 10
Patchy

Wake up, it was posted in Autocad2012, Adminstrator moved it here.

Got it yet?

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

couldn't resist 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report