Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dwgunits

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
1402 Views, 27 Replies

dwgunits

Hello,

Appreciate if someone can help me with this even if this not a roadway project. I have a landscape drawing and I am try to convert this drawing in inches so I get use the plot command to get a 11"x17 and 24"x36" and save it to a pdf.

Nothing fancy no border is needed.

When I try to use the dwgunit command and change it to inches and architect accurecy 1/2 and fill out the rest the drawing disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

I switched to architectural and 1/2 inch accuracy. The display did not change.

Did you zoom extents?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Hi Mr Cory,

I will give it another try would any of the dwgunits selections may have cause a problem.

Thanks 

Message 4 of 28
rl_jackson

If your dealing with a Architectual units, it is usually easier just to convert them by scaling it by the inverse of 12.

Give this a try it's 1/8" = 1' of you know what the size should be.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 28
AllenJessup

I managed to duplicate the results using the -DWGUNITS command. Note the leading hyphen.

AllenJessup_0-1634213032091.png

Answering Yes will scale the items on screen. To see them do a Zoom > Object > Last.

I don't know if this is what you want to accomplish. The ModelSpace scale has little to do with plotting. If you want to dimension in Feet and Inches. Create a DimStyle that uses architectural units. 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

@rl_jackson wrote:

If your dealing with a Architectual units, it is usually easier just to convert them by scaling it by the inverse of 12.

Hello,

Appreciate your help to this since this is the first time trying this. I am using c3d 2016 and can not open this since your version is a later.

thanks

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

I managed to duplicate the results using the -DWGUNITS command. Note the leading hyphen.

AllenJessup_0-1634213032091.png

Answering Yes will scale the items on screen. To see them do a Zoom > Object > Last.

I don't know if this is what you want to accomplish. The ModelSpace scale has little to do with plotting. If you want to dimension in Feet and Inches. Create a DimStyle that uses architectural units. 

Hello,

Right now I am just trying to get this dwg file to be 1:1 and in inches because when using the plot command it requires it to be in inches. I need this in c3d 2016 and when I tried it and zoom>object>last nothing seems to be there.

Thanks

Thanks

Message 8 of 28
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Right now I am just trying to get this dwg file to be 1:1 and in inches because when using the plot command it requires it to be in inches. I need this in c3d 2016 and when I tried it and zoom>object>last nothing seems to be there.

Thanks

Thanks

Civil 3D does NOT like to work in inches. If you can. You'd be better off opening the program as AutoCAD AllenJessup_0-1634231798744.png.

Do you have a known dimension of one of the lines in the drawing? You're better off scaling by reference.

I don't know what you mean by the plot command requiring the drawing to be 1:1 in inches. It might make the math easier but not required. 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 28
AllenJessup

The attached was plotted from a Viewport with a 1/16" = 1' scale with no other changes in the drawing.

AllenJessup_0-1634232684633.png

Since I don't know what any of the dimensions on the building are. I have no idea if this represents the correct distances.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous

@AllenJessup wrote:

The attached was plotted from a Viewport with a 1/16" = 1' scale with no other changes in the drawing.

AllenJessup_0-1634232684633.png

Since I don't know what any of the dimensions on the building are. I have no idea if this represents the correct distances.

Hello,

Here are some field measurements that I took as a check. City requirements would like drawings on a 11"x17"  with a scale of 3/8"=1'-0" or 3/16"=1'-0" with no border. Just need room for dimension and text like fence gate door etc.

Thanks

Message 11 of 28
Joe-Bouza

is that thing really 800 feet x 1500 feet?
what scale are you wanting to plot

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 28
rl_jackson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza, 800 x 1500 are a dime a dozen around here, doing a 630 x 1700 that I've been doing stakeout work on for a year now. Built it they will come 😃

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 13 of 28
AllenJessup

I scaled the building based on your dimensions. Left the drawing in feet. I setup a layout for 11 X 17 and set the Viewport scale to 3/8"=1'-0". The building doesn't fill the sheet. I verified the scale by drawing a 1.0' line in ModelSpace and getting a measurement of 0.031' in paperspace.

AllenJessup_0-1634300030205.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous

@AllenJessup wrote:

I scaled the building based on your dimensions. Left the drawing in feet. I setup a layout for 11 X 17 and set the Viewport scale to 3/8"=1'-0". The building doesn't fill the sheet. I verified the scale by drawing a 1.0' line in ModelSpace and getting a measurement of 0.031' in paperspace.

Hello,

Thanks for all your help on this dwg file. I am attaching the pdf file which you created with the actual field measurements. These numbers to match your 3/8"=1-0' dwg file.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous

Hello,

Does yur measurements match my field measurements?

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous

@rl_jackson wrote:

Hello,

Here is my field measurements does your drawing match this?

Thanks

Message 17 of 28
AllenJessup

I scaled the linework based on the line that was 32.83' long. That measured 32.83' in the drawing when I plotted it.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
is that thing really 800 feet x 1500 feet?
what scale are you wanting to plot

Hello,

Please see attached pdf field measurement dimensions. 

Here is what I would like my dwg drawing that can fit on a 11"x17" and 24"x36" architectural scale 1/8"=1'-0. No borders will be used only need room for dimensions and text like gate, fence and garage and does not need to be on any coordinate system. 

Unfortunately I have 2016 but if you have a later version I will work on my friends computer.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous

Hello Mr. Jackson,

Can I have the same thing that will fit on a piece of paper 24"x36" not sure what scale to use but it should be architectural scale and cover as much of the full sheet and leave room just to add dimensions and a few text.

Thanks a lot

Message 20 of 28
Anonymous

@AllenJessup wrote:

Hello Mr. Jessup,

Can you try a bigger scale for a 24"x36" to fill the paper only need only room for dimension and text.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report