Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawings Open Slow After Export from Microstation

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tarnoldQDESA
306 Views, 2 Replies

Drawings Open Slow After Export from Microstation

Hey Everyone, 

My office is working on migrating to Civil 3D from Microstation Power Survey V8i and I have been working on exporting details from Microstation to Civil3D. I used the export command in Microstation to save the files as .dwg files. Before I open the files, they are roughly around 25 kb in data. After opening the drawings, waiting for a while, and finally saving these drawings, the files grow in size to roughly 450 kb. Why do these files take so long to open? Is Civil 3D writing data in the background because the files originated in Microstation? Any thoughts? 

Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rl_jackson
in reply to: tarnoldQDESA

With C3D there are at minimum default styles and settings that reside in the file, if you open the drawings directly it would take some time to update that drawing the C3D standard styles. You might try starting with the standard NCS dwt which would have the styles already and insert the drawings like a block. Also, you could just import the dgn file directly to the NCS dwt file, which may reduce some of the problems you're seeing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: tarnoldQDESA

Save as a dgn in MicroStation, then import that dgn into a new Civil 3D drawing using _DGNImport command. I trust Autodesk's interpretation of a DGN more than I trust Bentley's creation of a DWG.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report