Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing and labelling magnetic north survey in Civil 3d...

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jtakag
251 Views, 3 Replies

Drawing and labelling magnetic north survey in Civil 3d...

I'm new to Civil 3D and have an issue drawing lot lines from a survey with magnetic north bearings. I understand that Civil 3D north is NOT magnetic north and when I create lines by bearing they are off by the angle of magnetic declination from the date the survey was created (1985). What is the best practice for drawing lot lines from a survey with magnetic north bearings and have them positioned and labelled correctly?

Ive tried a few things, including drawing the lot lines and then rotating them by the magnetic declination, but when I create a parcel, the labels not suprisingly show the new rotated bearings.

I'm probably missing something very obvious. I would love to be able to create lines by bearing directly from the survey and have them overlay on the surface/map imagery while displaying labels that agree with the original survey bearings.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: jtakag

Type in UNITS. At the bottom of the dialog box, click on Direction. There you can change the direction of 0. This may or may not help.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 4
jtakag
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I adjusted the angle in the Units -> Direction to -15.20262 but it didn't have an effect on how Lines by Bearing are drawn. A line of N 39° 06' 11" E is still drawn and labeled as such, however, it is off the iron pin (via GPS) by the magnetic declination of -15.20262. I'd like the line with that bearing to hit the iron pin and be labeled the same as the survey (N 39° 06' 11" E). Instead, the line when it hits the iron pin would be labeled (without doing the math) N 24°00' 00" E.

Thanks for your attention.

Message 4 of 4
jtakag
in reply to: jtakag

Figured it out! Happened to be the exact thing I was looking for on the Autodesk site:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2020/ENU/Civi...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report