Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension along polyline

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
BWYarger
34951 Views, 28 Replies

Dimension along polyline

I posted this topic before about 8 years ago and did not get a good answer.

I want to dimension along a curvy polyline.  I don't want to station it like a centerline.  It is for pavement marking dimensions in a curvy road and I want to show the total length of turn lane lines while they go through an s-surve.  I could draw the dimensions manually and have in the past, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better way.  For the contractor, I would simply station and offset it, but it makes it easier for the reviewer to see total turn lane, taper and lane shift lengths, rather than having to calculate them from station and offset callouts.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
AllenJessup
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff,

I should probably use this as a learning experience to get back in to Lisp.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 29
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

Using c3d line labels:

pavmarklabel.PNG

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous

I know this thread is quite old. Your lisp routine works great, I was wondering if there is a way to sum the previous distance.

Instead of label the distance of each line segment, sum the sum of all previous line segments.

Not sure if I made myself clear.

Regards.

Andres

Message 24 of 29
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous, welcome to the forums!

I think you are asking for something like this, where the segements are 45, 35, and 10 units each.

45     80    90

------|--------|----|

If that's correct, then no, I don't think the lisp I posted could be forced to this. It's probably possible with additional lisp coding and text overrides... of course, stationing does this already, right?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous

That's exactly what I mean.

I've never use stationing before and honestly, no idea how to use it.

Could you please point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Andres

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous

Jeff I've tried stationing but apparently it won't work on 3d polylines.

The best solution I've found so far is your LISP routine. It would be great to write a code to do this, but I have no idea on how to do it.

The reason for me to use such tool is we are a small mining company, and we map our tunnels basically with 3d polylines. However each sample is coded with a distance from a certain node. In order to locate our samples in a map we use those distances (x meters from hauling decline, etc).

Best regards.

Andres

Message 27 of 29
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Andres,

Convert the 3D Polyline to 2D and then use Create Alignment from Objects, which will give you stationing. If you don't want to lose the 3D linework, then first Copy the 3D Polyline off to the side. After creating the Alignment you can move the 3D Poly back to its original position.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Thank you Dave.

I can't do that, because stationing only gives you 2D distances and I need the real 3D distance.

Cheers,

Andres

Message 29 of 29
Anonymous

GREAT JOB!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report