Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Survey Database

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
12838 Views, 9 Replies

Delete Survey Database

I am running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010. I am a new user and just going through some tutorials and created a couple of survey databases for practice. The problem I am having is I can't figure out how to delete them. When I exit Civil 3D and restart it, those databases are still there under the survey tab in Toolspace even though I haven't even opened a drawing yet. Also, do I need MS Access installed on my workstation to run any functions within Civil 3D?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Rainman1,

Windows Explorer can delete the databases.

You may need to wait till Civil 3D is not running.

You do not need MS Access (or any other Commercial/shareware/freeware
software) to run Civil 3D. When you install Civil 3D it install
everything it needs.

Regards,

Laurie Comerford

Rainman1 wrote:
> I am running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010. I am a new user and just going through some tutorials and created a couple of survey databases for practice. The problem I am having is I can't figure out how to delete them. When I exit Civil 3D and restart it, those databases are still there under the survey tab in Toolspace even though I haven't even opened a drawing yet. Also, do I need MS Access installed on my workstation to run any functions within Civil 3D?
>
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Ok, I've closed Civil 3D, went to my folder in question and see nothing there with the name of the Survey Databases that were created. Do you know the type of file a new Survey Database creates?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Rainman1,

The Survey database name is a Folder name.

Inside the folder you will find "Survey.sdb and Survey.SDX and maybe
others. Delete the folder.

Regards,

Laurie Comerford

Rainman1 wrote:
> Ok, I've closed Civil 3D, went to my folder in question and see nothing there with the name of the Survey Databases that were created. Do you know the type of file a new Survey Database creates?
>
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Yes, I did a search for the Survey Database name and found the folders. Thanks for your help Laurie.
Message 6 of 10
LeafRiders

Maybe we could consider adding a right-click delete option in future versions of Civil 3D. I'm using 2012 and I assume deleting the folder through Windows Explorer is the only method to delete these.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: LeafRiders

...K' THUD !

Really? 

Then please excuse this.

Since it is now 2017 and everyone else is too busy to uhm flesh out this requisite "deletion of databases" rabbit hole any further than the above, (because these people never ran a 46 day long WinExplorer search of an R-2017 install on Win7 apparently) could we possibly at least get Google to tweak their algorithm so that this thread got nudged off the very top of their very first page of search results?

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: LeafRiders

My bad. But really not. I don't feel. Because there really should be a nice 1.25"x .785" button, colored #fa8e37 somewhere on at least one of the sub-sub ribbons someplace. Especially for beginner who might name a practice survey database, 'Survey Database' and not see the same right click options.

Any sarcasm or insights aside though...

In versions leading up to and including 2017 (aka Rel 21) there is alas a method to delete unwanted databases. And the best part is you do not need to purchase an add-on. The only truly difficult Hard-to-Find thing you need to know First, is this.

You need to know WHERE (that is, in which folder) (either on your computer or centrally on one of a networks computers) WHERE does AutoCAD Civil 3D store that database you wish to delete. That's right we're talking about the ones you cannot right click delete on when you are working in ---- drum roll please ---- Toolspace. You know. Toolspace. A space, perhaps in time, where you would normally expect to find all the tools people typically use to do computer type tasks, like delete stuff, hopefully with safeguards.

Once you know, you just go there and you may begin right-click-deleting to your hearts content. Even better. Adesk 360 won't even be asking you for your machine's super secret MySQL root password nor for your mothers maiden name. How could it be any easier?

So let's find the correct folder location together shall we? This is for Acad and C3D 2017.

In Toolspace's "Survey Tab" right click "Survey Databases" choose "Set Working Folder". (Nonononono. Right clicking on one of the individual databases you see listed would be too easy.)

Now. In the window that opens, the current Survey Database storage folder will be highlighted.
In that folder will be the database folders for each of the projects located on your computer. If you are on a network no doubt you have binders full of info on these project locations. And will need permissions.

Just to be clear, all of this is why the default folder for your Civil 3D Survey Databases is named Civil 3D Projects. Got it?

Me neither.

Anyway in the box that comes up you can right click delete those databases. Go figure. The box is named, 'Browse for Folder'.

Then there is the Windows Explorer route now that you know the path from having plucked that info out the previous part in the journey.

But don't bother searching Autodesk's support system. You will simply get a scrolling list of links about a hundred different other things databases can do for you. Just snap your fingers or click your heels together three times.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

The answer is quite simple. When you created those new survey data bases you set a working folder. You should be able to go to that folder you see several folders with the same name as your survey data bases. You need to delete the unwanted folders (in order to do this the file you were working in will have to be closed down). Then go back and open your C3D file you were working in and you will notice that the data bases are still there, despite deleting. All you need to do is right click on 'survey databases' under to 'surey' tab and press 'refresh'. 

That should solve your problem!

Message 10 of 10
ibrahimsaad

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report