Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA SHORTCUT EDITOR IS BLANK....

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
sean.keohane
2956 Views, 23 Replies

DATA SHORTCUT EDITOR IS BLANK....

Hi,

Im using C3D 2017 SP1. When I access the data shortcuts (using the separate short cuts editor program) the data shortcuts appear blank. (see attached image). It would appear any shortcuts created with 2017 does not populate the editor program. Older projects created with earlier versions of C3D work fine. At least, that's my theory.

Anyone experience this issue?

thanks

Sean

PS

Just to be clear, my shortcuts work as they should in C3D, I just can't edit them using the shortcut editor.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24

I have to report back that there was one oddity with my solution. When I edited the data shortcut file manually, I had a utility drawing open, which apparently caused the data shortcuts in that drawing not to change. Therefore, if you are going to manually change the file path, do it with all of the affected files closed.

That said, it was really quick to fix the four pipe network links in that drawing and have the rest already changed, so I still would recommend the fix if you can identify the file path. (Below is an image of the one pipe network's code with the file paths that I changed highlighted)Sewer Pipe Network Code.JPG

I would put a BIG Emphasis on Backing up/Copying the File before you make the change though!

Message 22 of 24

Just as an update, since making the change, I think I know why they say not to edit the data shortcut xml. Although it seamlessly changes the data shortcut folder paths so that any new references using that data shortcut folder will be correct, all of the existing references in every drawing have to be reassociated individually. Thus, it still would be nice if the Data Shortcut Editor would work.

That said, since reassociations to the current Data Shortcuts Project Folder can be accomplished quickly using the Data Shortcut Manager window, I still would recommend adjusting the xml. It is just a little more handwork than if the Data Shortcut Editor were working.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: deemanning

Great. Thank you very much...!!!

Message 24 of 24

Just a heads up from using my method of editing the xml file directly over the last couple years...

If you have the xml editor, I would reinforce Twait's recommendation to use it.

If you are not using an xml editor and using "Notepad" or something similar, be careful of how the name is shown in your program. I use Notepad and when a drawing name has an "&" in the name (mine was "Typ X-sec & Sw Slope.dwg"), the name of the drawing in the data shortcut uses "&" to show an ampersand in the drawing (so mine became "Typ X-sec & Sw Slope.dwg").

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report