Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link'd surface randomly change layer

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
deltacoolguy
769 Views, 4 Replies

D-Link'd surface randomly change layer

I keep having issues where data-linked surfaces randomly change layers.  They're on the correct layer in the original drawing.  They come in on the correct layer when first data-link.  They sometimes stay in place, they sometimes change to either a surface-text layer or a pipe/pipe-text layer.  And it's totally random.  Sometimes they all change, sometimes only one, sometimes none.  Occasionally, I can simply save/exit a drawing, re-open it, and one of the surfaces will have changed layer.

I am at a loss.  Any ideas?  I have just now frozen the O-SURF-* layers to see if that will help, but I don't know yet and I don't know if that will cause other unintended negative consequences.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: deltacoolguy

Do you use match properties? Matching properties to the surface changes layers. Sometimes this screws with my object/surface/xref layers.

Message 3 of 5
deltacoolguy
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you use match properties? Matching properties to the surface changes layers. Sometimes this screws with my object/surface/xref layers.

I do, and I thought of that as a possible culprit.  I'm thinking I might be inadvertently picking a surface when I'm not wanting to.

I'm hoping my locking the surface layers will help.  I am presuming that any dynamic updates would still go through if the layer is locked.  We shall see.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: deltacoolguy

Have you ever used selection cycling? This gives you a drop down menu to select from for items you click that are over lapping. It gets annoying sometimes but helpful with situations like this. I have it on always to give me and idea of what is overlapping

Message 5 of 5
deltacoolguy
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you ever used selection cycling? This gives you a drop down menu to select from for items you click that are over lapping. It gets annoying sometimes but helpful with situations like this. I have it on always to give me and idea of what is overlapping

I know it exists, but have never used it.  I'm going to give a try and see if it helps and if I like it.

Thanks.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report