Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Linetypes

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mharper05
1060 Views, 13 Replies

Custom Linetypes

I'm trying to duplicate some custom linetypes in AutoCAD that MoDOT uses in their MicroStation config.  primarily looking to duplicate or at least come close to their conduit line styles. 

The image below is a snip from MicroStation showing their 3 styles of Conduit, Trenched, Pushed and Existing, in that order. 

Trenched is easy as that can be done using pline with a width applied.

The Pushed conduit, is the open rectangle style.  Is there a way to duplicate this style using text and code rather than a .shp file?   I would like something that is easy to distribute, where it will just be stored in the CAD file, and the standard .lin file. 

The existing conduit is just parallel dashed lines, similar to a Hidden 2 dash spacing. Is this possible to do?  

MoDOT Conduit.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mharper05

Shx file? That can be a PITA having to include it and expect others to put in the right place. But that's the only way I know how to get shapes in a linetype.

When we switched from Mstn I redid everything, much by trial and error. Fortunately our DOT also switched so they provided a .lin file for their linetypes. Microstation will supposedly export a .lin - can you ask the DOT to help?

Message 3 of 14
AllenJessup

I'm not sure if you're asking to have the center of each dash masked. Just parallel dashed lines could be an MLine Style.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
mharper05
in reply to: AllenJessup

But you can't do any curves when using a MLINE correct? 

Message 5 of 14
AllenJessup

Yeah. When I can't avoid it. I use a bundh of chords to simulate the arch. There's the same problem with adding Shapes to a linetype. Shapes can't have curves either.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
mharper05

I followed some of this thread regarding the MicroStation RSC file and imported the DGN I used for the screen shot in the first post as a DGN underlay and I get this in AutoCAD. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/import-a-microstation-rsc-file-into-an-autocad-lin-file...

Conduit DGN underlay.JPG

AutoCAD tries to translate the lines styles, and does a pretty good job, except for the pushed conduit in the middle, with the open box line style. 

Message 7 of 14
ChicagoLooper

Open your go-to template. Do you have the linetype.shx named FENCELINE2? If you do, then you're already halfway there because you can use it to define your PUSH conduit line without having to compile a brand new shape. Fenceline2 can be found in the default acad.lin file found here:

C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Your Acad 20xx\enu\Support\acad.lin

Image-1Image-1

Copy FENCELINE2 and paste it in the bottom section of the acad.lin. Or you may also paste it in a brand new file with the extension .lin. Next, edit and save the definition so it looks like this:

Image-2.Image-2.

In your template, load the new PUSH linetype. Draw a line using the new line definition and the line will look like this. You can return to the .lin definition you just created and edit further if you wish. Test the line's behavior when you fillet. Be sure to reload the linetype in your template if you make any changes to the definition.

Image-3.Image-3.

The Push line has an appearance that's close to Fenceline2 but without the long horizontal line inbetween the boxes. It's not exactly like the line you wanted because it uses a square instead of a rectangle.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
Joe-Bouza

https://civilimmersion.typepad.com/civil_immersion/2021/02/tool-for-tuesday-creating-custom-linetype...

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
mharper05

Hi All, I was able to create this using the the MKLTYPE Command and Unicode text, after seeing how the box is made on fence line type in the post from Chicagolooper.  

This is almost exactly what I need, except is there anyway to dots from the line type between the boxes. 

pushed conduit3.JPG

Here is the Code for the line type

*PUSHED,Pushed conduit
A,0,-.001005,["\U+228F",Arial Unicode,y=-.012418,s=.026218,u=0],-.020816,["\U+2290",Arial Unicode,y=-.012418,s=.026218,u=0],-.026911

Message 10 of 14
mharper05

Hi all, I've been working on this some more, done some tweaking to get closer to the size that I need.  However I'm running into an issue with the pattern changing when drawing at an angle between 91-269 degrees.   I'm fine with the way the box breaks when on a curve, but the change in pattern from a rectangle to a sideways H is not good.  Also I would like to remove the dots if at all possible.   Attached is the .lin file and a dwg file I've been working with. ThanksPushed Conduit AutoCAD.JPG

Message 11 of 14
Pointdump

Hi Mike,
How about using the MEASURE Command and inserting a rectangle block? Then you can turn off whatever layer the line is on.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 12 of 14
Pointdump

Hi Mike,
Oops, not MEASURE. DIVIDE.
DaveBox_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 14

Have you looked into the makeshape express tool?

try the command mkshape

The help is here - AutoCAD 2020 Help | MKLTYPE (Express Tool) | Autodesk

you can draw a rectangle and make it into a shape that autocad can reference in a linetype.

You can view the help on complex linetypes with shapes in them here - AutoCAD 2020 Help | About Shapes in Custom Linetypes | Autodesk

I do not think it will curve the rectangle around the curves though.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2023
Message 14 of 14
Joe-Bouza

did you check out the Bartles video I linked?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report