Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Bar Scale block tied to viewport?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
doni49
3378 Views, 18 Replies

Custom Bar Scale block tied to viewport?

I've searched for info on this with no success.  When I place a scale bar, it prompts me to select my viewport.  But then I also have to enter "Properties" that tell it the scale and units.  It's using these properties as opposed to the VP's scale.  I'm at a loss as to WHY it's doing this -- since it prompts to pick my VP, why won't it pull the scale from the selected VP?

Our scale bar is pretty simple.  We place it in PAPERSPACE and the graphics remain unchanged.  Only the text updates when the scale changes.

BarScale.png

TIA!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don

The best I have come up with is you are given the oportunity to change the incriment scale at that prompt. Why it want to change size is a puzzle to me too

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I think you've accurately described the issue.

The VP has a scale assigned to it. If the scale is 1"=30', then I want the first non-profit number from my image to be 30' and the second to be 60' and for it to say 1"=30' at the bottom. The size of the graphics should not change - - it's in pspace (as I'm sure it's designed to be) so why would the graphics change?

The dynamic North arrow seems to work well -- too bad the scale bar doesn't.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 19
doni49

LOL my phone's autocorrect got me.

"non-profit" in my last message should be "non-zero".

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 19
Pointdump

Don,

"Non-Profit"! Ha ha! That sounds almost Freudian.

b0201.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 19
jmartt

Sounds like the field for the viewport scale wasn't set up right and that the block itself is annotative.

Are the numbers changing to the right numbers, just also changing size?
Message 7 of 19
doni49
in reply to: jmartt

Just to be sure, I tried one of the sample scale bars provided by autodesk. She results.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 19
Joe-Bouza

I dont have confirmation on this but anytime I have used a dynamic SB in a Plan production prototype it does not create the DS correctly.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
I dont have confirmation on this but anytime I have used a dynamic SB in a Plan production prototype it does not create the DS correctly.

I haven't even gotten to the point of using it in the P&P wizards.  MOST of our plans are created manually -- for the most part, an entire site will usually fit on 1 to 2 sheet.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 19
kcobabe

Any chance on posting the block so I can troubleshoot it for you?  I have done numerous barscale for my own company the dynamically plug in without the scaling issue.  I do think that your block my be annotative or inserted annotative as stated before causing it to scale.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 11 of 19
doni49
in reply to: kcobabe

@kcobabe wrote:

Any chance on posting the block so I can troubleshoot it for you?  I have done numerous barscale for my own company the dynamically plug in without the scaling issue.  I do think that your block my be annotative or inserted annotative as stated before causing it to scale.

I've attached the dwg file that I've been using for testing purposes.  It's got my scale bar in it along with some notations.

As far as "Annotative" causing it to scale, I just checked and not only is it not set to Annotative, It wouldn't even LET me set it that way (the OOTB scale bar is the one with the changing grapics).

TIA!

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 19
doni49

Ok.  I've made a little progress here.  At least I understand HOW the OOTB scalebar works.  But I still say it's poorly designed.

When placing the scale bar, you have to adjust the settings to work with the VP scale.  Then when the VP scale chagnes, you have to CHANGE the properties of the scale bar.  That pretty much defeats the purpose of linking the scale bar to the VP as far as I'm concerned.

In my test file, I set the VP scale to 1"=400'.  Then when I placed the OOTB scale bar, I used the settings in the following image (and it looked/measured correctly):

VPScaleBarProperties.png

Then when I changed the VP scale to 1"=800', the scale bar shrunk and the numbers stayed the same -- it should have done the opposite.  When I looked at the scale bar's properties, the scale ratio had changed to 1:9600.

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 19
Joe-Bouza

check the box to adjust divisions on zoom and the bar remains a constant size and the number change only

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

check the box to adjust divisions on zoom and the bar remains a constant size and the number change only

OMG!  I've been hunting for this solution and this is the first time I've seen it mentioned.  Now that you say it, I was wondering what that was for.

Thanks Joe!

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 19
kcobabe

Looks like you need to add the "Linear Parameter" and "Scale" action.  Once you have added those.  Add "Map.ScaleBar.DivLength" in the "Distance Name" property of the "Linear Parameter"

I added you drawing to this if you want to see what I did.  You still need to add attributes to add the div scale text though.  If you are really good with script you could probably get these to autopopulate.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 16 of 19
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

One more question about this setting.....

Is it possible to set my block so that this is already checked?  Or even better yet -- make it so it can't be turned off for this block?

Don Ireland

Message 17 of 19
doni49

I guess I do still have one additional question besides the one about the check box.

Our standard scale bar has the ft marks (apostrophe) after the values above the bar (see the image) and below the bar it says 1 inch = 20 feet (again see the image).

VPScaleBar.png

I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to do that.  If I do this **** peices of text that are separate from the attributes, the text will likely be too far away from or on top of the attributes.

Any ideas?

Don Ireland

Message 18 of 19
Joe-Bouza

I don't know about setting the check box default, but the ticks are doable.

You have to go int to block editor to add and update the block in the search path. its a dyno and there are alot of parameters to coordinate. I'm not sure which ones, but if you go the the dyno block DG look for Charlse Shade im certain he can get you going. Tell Charlse I sent you and give him my regards

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
Tentie

Okay - now lets take this to the next level.

I need both the horizontal and vertical scales on our scale bar.

There is typically either a 5:1 or 10:1 ratio between the horizontal and vertical scale.

I have attached a clip of what it should look like.

Has anyone created this block and get it working correctly?  If so, any way of acquiring a copy?

Cheers,

Glen

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report